From: Chad on
Am I right to assume that the reason why most people take up
programming is because they like programming? I'm just curious because
the reason I took up programming was because it seemed like a safe
outlet to escape my ongoing battles with alcoholism and depression.
Over time, I learned to express my hate and anger through computer
code.

To this day, I still code with hate. I'm just sort of curious if this
is normal or healthy.
From: Mensanator on
On Mar 13, 7:44 pm, Chad <cdal...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Am I right to assume that the reason why most people take up
> programming is because they like programming? I'm just curious because
> the reason I took up programming was because it seemed like a safe
> outlet to escape my ongoing battles with alcoholism and depression.
> Over time, I learned to express my hate and anger through computer
> code.
>
> To this day, I still code with hate. I'm just sort of curious if this
> is normal or healthy.

Probably not normal. As to healthy, if it keeps you from expressing
your
anger with an AK-47, I suppose it is, relatively.

As for me, I've wanted a computer since I was ten years old (and I'm
talking about the blinkin' lights machines such as featured on
'Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea'. I didn't actually get one until
the Apple ][ was invented.)

I get off on the power to control things. Perhaps I should have become
programmer.
From: Frederick Williams on
Chad wrote:

> Am I right to assume that the reason why most people take up
> programming is because they like programming?

Not me, I took up programming because I needed to earn a living.

--
I can't go on, I'll go on.
From: Dave Harris on
cdalten(a)gmail.com (Chad) wrote (abridged):
> Am I right to assume that the reason why most people take up
> programming is because they like programming? I'm just curious
> because the reason I took up programming was because it seemed
> like a safe outlet to escape my ongoing battles with alcoholism
> and depression. Over time, I learned to express my hate and
> anger through computer code.
>
> To this day, I still code with hate. I'm just sort of curious if
> this is normal or healthy.

Quite a lot of code seems to be written by programmers who hate their
users. And some seems to be written by people who hate their fellow
programmers, too (especially those who have to maintain it). Sometimes
they seem to want to torture the machine. So I guess you're not alone.

-- Dave Harris, Nottingham, UK.
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
Frederick Williams <frederick.williams2(a)tesco.net> writes:

> Chad wrote:
>>
>> Am I right to assume that the reason why most people take up
>> programming is because they like programming?
>
> Not me, I took up programming because I needed to earn a living.

How sad.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__