From: Ondrej Valousek on
Theoretically yes but:
- the official stable Samba 3.x can mimic only NT-style domains
- Win7s are no longer able to join NT domains by default (registry hack
is needed)
- replication using OpenLdap backend could turn into a nightmare (as a
standalone server will Samba do fine though)

So I would say - if your time is cheap and you are fancy playing with
it, then go for it and try it.
Otherwise - purchase a license for Active Directory controllers and
forget about all problems.

Ondrej

M.Saeed Ansari wrote:
> Hello ,
> I'm a student in Shahed university in IRAN .
> Now I'm become a member of our uni IT-Center .
> We are going to have an organized network with a en-bloc user
> authentication and proxy server.
> In comparison between MS AD and Samba , i want to choose Samba server
> ( cause of my belief in Open Source ) .
> Our plan have a Forest(root : shahed.ac.ir) and trees for faculties
> (like : eng.shahed.ac.ir , maybe have child ) and maybe for
> internet-site we may have a new forest (we should have trust between
> these domains ).
> In every site we should have DC and SQUID Proxy server ( for control
> and sharing internet in the best way ) .
> note : all of our clients have windows XP or se7en .
> My questions are :
> can we completely handle our plan with Samba server ? , for
> replication and trust what we should do ? we should use openLDAP for
> our plan ? what is your suggestion for what we are going to do ? witch
> distribution of LINUX is appropriate for our plan ?
>
> Best regards .

My opinion:

Yes, you can.

- The official stable Samba 3.x can do NT-style domains, but if you don't
want some very specific windows options it must be all you need. Faster,
better, more control over the service, and it's free and open.
- Win7s are able to log in to a NT domain, you only have to apply a regedit
patch provided by Samba Team. It's not a very long time expense because it's
only two clicks.
- Replication using OpenLDAP is not difficult. You only have to read a few
pages and you will get very good and secure replicas. There are different
ways to replication, so you can adjust it to your needs.

If you like viruses, hard administration, privative black boxes, etc. choose
A.D. If you want good software, choose OpenLDAP and Samba.