From: Rick Lyons on

Hi Guys,
here's a thought for those of you who are consultants,
or work for small companies doing consulting work.

The next time your potential customer comments in a
negative way about your consulting fee, consider saying
the following to your customer:

"Yes, professionals are expensive. However, try
doing the job with amateurs."

See Ya',
[-Rick-]
From: Tim Wescott on
Rick Lyons wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> here's a thought for those of you who are consultants,
> or work for small companies doing consulting work.
>
> The next time your potential customer comments in a
> negative way about your consulting fee, consider saying
> the following to your customer:
>
> "Yes, professionals are expensive. However, try
> doing the job with amateurs."

I tell them that yes, I cost a lot by the _hour_. But because I know my
stuff and I get it right quickly and (usually) the first time, I cost
less by the _job_.

If a client can't see the light after that, I'm better off working for
someone else.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Symon on
On 5/18/2010 11:50 PM, Rick Lyons wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> here's a thought for those of you who are consultants,
> or work for small companies doing consulting work.
>
> The next time your potential customer comments in a
> negative way about your consulting fee, consider saying
> the following to your customer:
>
> "Yes, professionals are expensive. However, try
> doing the job with amateurs."
>

> See Ya',
> [-Rick-]

Hi there,

Would the etymology of the word 'amateur' may make you reconsider that
reply? I love DSP too!

More seriously, don't bite. Always remember that they are paying the
bill. What's more, they already tried (and failed with) the cheap idiots
before they attempted to employ you to fix it...

Cheers, Syms.
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Rick Lyons wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> here's a thought for those of you who are consultants,
> or work for small companies doing consulting work.
>
> The next time your potential customer comments in a
> negative way about your consulting fee, consider saying
> the following to your customer:
>
> "Yes, professionals are expensive. However, try
> doing the job with amateurs."

I'd say something is not right if it comes down to that kind of whoring.
Normally, they don't negotiate with doctors, lawyers or consultants.
Either the price is set way over reasonable, or the prospect has no
realistic idea how much is the cost for this kind of work.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com
From: Rick Lyons on
On Wed, 19 May 2010 01:21:31 +0100, Symon <symon_brewer(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 5/18/2010 11:50 PM, Rick Lyons wrote:
>>
>> Hi Guys,
>> here's a thought for those of you who are consultants,
>> or work for small companies doing consulting work.
>>
>> The next time your potential customer comments in a
>> negative way about your consulting fee, consider saying
>> the following to your customer:
>>
>> "Yes, professionals are expensive. However, try
>> doing the job with amateurs."
>>

>> See Ya',
>> [-Rick-]
>
>Hi there,
>
>Would the etymology of the word 'amateur' may make you reconsider that
>reply? I love DSP too!

Hello Symon,
Ha ha. I just happen to know what you're talking
about. When I checked my dictionary, to ensure that
I spelled "amateur" correctly, I was surprised to read
the word "amateur" was defined as:

1. devotee, admirer;
2. one who engages in a pursuit, study, science, or
a sport as a pastime rather than as a profession;
3. one lacking in experience and competence in an
art or science.

In my post I intended "amateur" to mean Definition# 3.
However, I'm somewhat familiar with Definition# 2, for
example: an "amateur astronomer" (like Clay Turner).
However, I've never heard that Definition# 1 before.
How strange that it's listed as the number 1 (primary)
definition of "amateur".

And yes, I did happen to see that the word "amateur"
comes from the Latin word "amator", meaning lover.
I've never equated the word "amateur" with "lover."

Symon your post reminds me of:

"When I use a word, 'Humpty Dumpty said, in
rather a scornful tone,` it means just what I
choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
--Humpty Dumpty in Chapter VI
of 'Through the Looking Glass'
by Lewis Carroll

Ha ha.