From: David Combs on
This sun-service guy I was talking to told me that if I
wanted to add more disk, I had to get it from Sun ($$$!),
not straight from Seagate, say.

Something about sometimes Sun periferals working slightly
different from the "non-sun" one from the very same
manufacturer?

He said that he'd NEVER seen a case where people installed
non-Sun-marked disks to a Sun computer.

Sure makes no sense to me, especially when you don't have a
Service contract.

------

Same re additional mamory. Said you can't just go to
eg Kingston, and stuff their stuff into the memory slots.

Nope, he said, had to be SUN memory.

-----

True, False. Or just sun conning everyone, terrorizing
them to buy only Sun products.

Thanks!

David

From: Cydrome Leader on
David Combs <dkcombs(a)panix.com> wrote:
> This sun-service guy I was talking to told me that if I
> wanted to add more disk, I had to get it from Sun ($$$!),
> not straight from Seagate, say.
>
> Something about sometimes Sun periferals working slightly
> different from the "non-sun" one from the very same
> manufacturer?
>
> He said that he'd NEVER seen a case where people installed
> non-Sun-marked disks to a Sun computer.

nobody that didn't get the system from the dumpster would do that.

> Sure makes no sense to me, especially when you don't have a
> Service contract.
>

> ------
>
> Same re additional mamory. Said you can't just go to
> eg Kingston, and stuff their stuff into the memory slots.
>
> Nope, he said, had to be SUN memory.
>
> -----
>
> True, False. Or just sun conning everyone, terrorizing
> them to buy only Sun products.

It is true. They don't like knock off parts.

We had to remove some bogus Kingston SUN imitation RAM from some systems
that came in from another datacenter before Sun would provide hardware
maintenance on them. It's not clear where the bogus ram came from as we
don't do that here. It doesn't really matter though.

They actually sent out a real sun employee to peek inside the machines,
one by one. They mostly look for blatant damage like being dropped etc.

We just pulled the memory and replace it with real (real means has a sun
sticker) memory from the spares pile and they were happy with that.

This happened recently and in the US.

The only surprise to us was that a tech was sent out to look at the
machines.

On a more technical side, you can read DIMM eeprom data from ALOM on some
machines. I'm not sure if sunVTS can read or detect if you're not using
modules programmed to say SUN.

HP is the same way. You won't void your warranty by adding third party
components, but you won't get coverage for the system in that
configuration from them.

For instance, say you have a shiny new proliant, and max it out with some
respectable memory from micron or whoever, then a disk fails.

HP won't notice or care- as long as the bad drive has the purple sticker
they'll replace it.

Now say you get memory errors. THey'll ask what's in the machine and will
even ask nicely for you to remove all third party memory and run tests. If
their ram is bad, they'll swap it. You're out of luck of the memory you
added is bad, but a decent vendor will replace it, just not in a few hours
like HP might if you had the exact same dimm from the same maker fail, but
it lacks the purple sticker.

It's sort of a racket, but if I'm carrying the pager I don't want memory
errors at 3am so who cares if the real memory module costs 3 times as much
as some knock off one. If I was being cheap, I would not be using sun
hardware in the first place, but discarded desktops that the local library
threw out.
From: Greg Andrews on
dkcombs(a)panix.com (David Combs) writes:

>This sun-service guy I was talking to [...]
>
>He said that he'd NEVER seen a case where people installed
>non-Sun-marked disks to a Sun computer.
>
>Sure makes no sense to me, especially when you don't have a
>Service contract.

He's a Sun service guy. He doesn't talk to people who don't
have a service contract.

Of course he's going to recommend against putting a non-Sun
disk drive into a Sun computer. His corporate masters have
told him to.

This isn't unusual. Manufacturers in all industries have been
pressuring their customers to buy parts only from them (and not
a third party) for decades.

-Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.
From: Cydrome Leader on
Greg Andrews <gerg(a)panix.com> wrote:
> dkcombs(a)panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>>
>>This sun-service guy I was talking to [...]
>>
>>He said that he'd NEVER seen a case where people installed
>>non-Sun-marked disks to a Sun computer.
>>
>>Sure makes no sense to me, especially when you don't have a
>>Service contract.
>>

> He's a Sun service guy. He doesn't talk to people who don't
> have a service contract.
>
> Of course he's going to recommend against putting a non-Sun
> disk drive into a Sun computer. His corporate masters have
> told him to.
>
> This isn't unusual. Manufacturers in all industries have been
> pressuring their customers to buy parts only from them (and not
> a third party) for decades.
>
> -Greg

so?

Newegg/com isn't coming on-site in 2 hours to replace a failed drive in an
array.

Sun or HP will.