From: Alan S on
fsck finds errors (cannot read block xxxx) on one of my drives.
How can I map these out so I can mount the drive?

-alan
From: SS on
On 2010-04-05 02:47:10 +0200, Alan S said:

> fsck finds errors (cannot read block xxxx) on one of my drives.
> How can I map these out so I can mount the drive?
>
> -alan

SpinRite? (www.grc.com)

SS

From: Alan S on
In article <2010040503080940656-ss(a)gmailcom>, SS <s.s(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On 2010-04-05 02:47:10 +0200, Alan S said:
>
>> fsck finds errors (cannot read block xxxx) on one of my drives.
>> How can I map these out so I can mount the drive?
>
>SpinRite? (www.grc.com)

Good option. I'm trying `recoverdisk' now to see if it can
clone the drive while bypassing errors. Stay tuned...
Seems a needed tool to remap bad sectors - maybe an option to `badsect'.

-alan

From: Lowell Gilbert on
paleale(a)sonic.net (Alan S) writes:

> In article <2010040503080940656-ss(a)gmailcom>, SS <s.s(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>On 2010-04-05 02:47:10 +0200, Alan S said:
>>
>>> fsck finds errors (cannot read block xxxx) on one of my drives.
>>> How can I map these out so I can mount the drive?
>>
>>SpinRite? (www.grc.com)
>
> Good option. I'm trying `recoverdisk' now to see if it can
> clone the drive while bypassing errors. Stay tuned...
> Seems a needed tool to remap bad sectors - maybe an option to `badsect'.

Badsect is a specialized tool these days, not useful for ordinary
users. Modern hard drives automatically remap sectors if they have an
error on writing. Obviously, they can't do that on read, because they
don't know what data to put into the block. A low-level recovery tool
is probably your only option to get the disk fixed up. However, the
chances are fairly good that this is really a sign that the disk is on
its way out.

--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer
http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/
From: G8KBV on
In article <44vdc6kk2l.fsf(a)be-well.ilk.org>, lgusenet(a)be-well.ilk.org
says...

> paleale(a)sonic.net (Alan S) writes:

> >>SpinRite? (www.grc.com)
> >
> > Good option. I'm trying `recoverdisk' now to see if it can
> > clone the drive while bypassing errors. Stay tuned...
> > Seems a needed tool to remap bad sectors - maybe an option to `badsect'.
>
> Badsect is a specialized tool these days, not useful for ordinary
> users. Modern hard drives automatically remap sectors if they have an
> error on writing. Obviously, they can't do that on read, because they
> don't know what data to put into the block. A low-level recovery tool
> is probably your only option to get the disk fixed up. However, the
> chances are fairly good that this is really a sign that the disk is on
> its way out.

I can vouch for SpinRite. OK, so it's a cost purchase item. But very
well worth the cost.

I've just recently recovered 3 out of 4 ex winders system hard drives,
all just would not boot, or even format under Fdisk. 3 of them are
happy again, having had some definatly bad sectors identified and
tested, recorvered if posible, or permanently marked as bad if not
recoverable. One boots the old OS just fine again (no unrecoverable
stuff) the others lost some needed data in unrecoverable sectors, but
are otherwise happy drives again.

The 4th drive, has all the common sounds of a true head crash, and
doesnt even show up on the IDE bus! Plays a nice rhumba rythm though
as it tries and tries... :)

Result? three relatively modern 20G drives returned to the pool, for
use in "whatever" projects. OK, not huge, but good enough for
experimental or temporary systems.

It's also got me out of a hole a few times when the drive in the main
24/7 winders machine "went funny". 36 hours at level 4, and all was
well again, still OK some 18 months later of continuious 24/7 use.

I have no affiliation with GRC, other than as a hapy customer and
SpinRite 6 owner.

Dave B.