From: Lars Brownies on
The tabbed windows option in Access 2007 is quite a different concept than
the overlapping windows in earlier versions. I'm curious about the
experiences with the tabbed windows. Is it used a lot or do most developers
stick with the overlapping windows? Any pitfalls?

Thanks,

Lars

From: Salad on
Lars Brownies wrote:
> The tabbed windows option in Access 2007 is quite a different concept
> than the overlapping windows in earlier versions. I'm curious about the
> experiences with the tabbed windows. Is it used a lot or do most
> developers stick with the overlapping windows? Any pitfalls?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lars

Access has had tabbed windows since I started using Access in 1997.

Could you be more verbose on what you mean by overlapping windows?

Is an overlapping window similar to having a main form and pressing a
button to open another form so you have 2 forms open at the same time?
From: Lars Brownies on
> Could you be more verbose on what you mean by overlapping windows?
> Is an overlapping window similar to having a main form and pressing a
> button to open another form so you have 2 forms open at the same time?

With 'overlapping windows setting' checked you can see two open forms
simultaniously, like I was used to in A2003. With the tabbed windows setting
checked, you can have one or more forms open, but only one of them can be
visible at a time. The other forms are hidden, only their formtabs are
visible.

Lars

From: Banana on
On 5/1/10 10:03 AM, Salad wrote:
> Access has had tabbed windows since I started using Access in 1997.

I think you may be talking about something different because it only had
that feature in 2007 and later. Tabbed windows simply means that when
you open two forms, you only have one form visible and taking up all
screen inside the MDI window but you can switch between two forms by
clicking on the tabs which are lined up at the top of MDI windows. Kinda
similar to how some browsers have tabs.

> Could you be more verbose on what you mean by overlapping windows?

This is what we have had since the inception of Access.
From: Banana on
On 5/1/10 8:59 AM, Lars Brownies wrote:
> The tabbed windows option in Access 2007 is quite a different concept
> than the overlapping windows in earlier versions. I'm curious about the
> experiences with the tabbed windows. Is it used a lot or do most
> developers stick with the overlapping windows? Any pitfalls?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lars

I personally prefer tabbed for development - it makes for much easier
workflow and helps keep the clutter clean by giving me tabs to switch
between various open objects without having to hunting for it.

However, that does not necessarily apply when using it as an end user. I
think overlapping windows tend to make more sense to the end user. A
part of reason for this is that because most of time they'll be working
only one active form at a time, so having tabs would be kind of waste of
space and offers nothing in functionality to them not to mention
possibly introducing more opportunities for bus or weird behaviors as
the users switch between forms and generate unexpected side effects that
code didn't anticipate.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: DLOOKUP being a PIA