From: Salad on
If an Access app is published to the web and a person is a Sharepoint
user can that person access the database via his cell phone?
From: Douglas J. Steele on
AFAIK, yes, even if the phone's not a Windows Mobile device. i.e an iPhone
(or iPad) should be able to work too.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele

From: Albert D. Kallal on

"Salad" <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote in message
> If an Access app is published to the web and a person is a Sharepoint user
> can that person access the database via his cell phone?

They work great on my iPad.

So, the answer is yes.

When you create a SharePoint site, there is options to create a mobile phone
view/site (in fact it done by default). However, I not looked into specific
support for these Mobile sites using Access web services. (perhaps someone
else who doing this now will chime in).

The quality of rendering of the access applications on the iPad is just
fantastic. Since my iPad is really a "big" iPhone", then rendering of the
access applications on the iPhone should work well (but, they are bit
small). To be fair, I did have to tweak a few buttons sizes and font sizes,
but then again I likely would have had to do this for any computer running
the Safari browser.

Thankfully, Microsoft adopted open supported standards for SharePoint and
that also thus means Access Web services. Hence no ActiveX or Silver light
is required. A standard browser such as the one running on my iPad or Linux
works just fine.

This also means that smart phones with a web browser will work. I can't
vouch for a decent experience in many cases, but I can say that it is VERY
likely I will be producing some "small" reports for some customers to view
sales numbers by hitting the SharePoint site with their SmartPhones.

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
PleaseNoSpam_kallal(a)msn.com

From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per Albert D. Kallal:

>They work great on my iPad.

Tangential question: how much memory does your iPad have?

I'm shopping.... and wondering if the 16-gigger is real-world
usable.
--
PeteCresswell
From: Salad on
Albert D. Kallal wrote:

> "Salad" <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote in message
>
>> If an Access app is published to the web and a person is a Sharepoint
>> user can that person access the database via his cell phone?
>

> They work great on my iPad.
>
> So, the answer is yes.

I figured if they can run a web app they could but it's nice to hear
verification.

> When you create a SharePoint site, there is options to create a mobile
> phone view/site (in fact it done by default). However, I not looked into
> specific support for these Mobile sites using Access web services.
> (perhaps someone else who doing this now will chime in).
>
> The quality of rendering of the access applications on the iPad is just
> fantastic. Since my iPad is really a "big" iPhone", then rendering of
> the access applications on the iPhone should work well (but, they are
> bit small). To be fair, I did have to tweak a few buttons sizes and
> font sizes, but then again I likely would have had to do this for any
> computer running the Safari browser.
>
> Thankfully, Microsoft adopted open supported standards for SharePoint
> and that also thus means Access Web services. Hence no ActiveX or Silver
> light is required. A standard browser such as the one running on my iPad
> or Linux works just fine.
>
> This also means that smart phones with a web browser will work. I can't
> vouch for a decent experience in many cases, but I can say that it is
> VERY likely I will be producing some "small" reports for some customers
> to view sales numbers by hitting the SharePoint site with their
> SmartPhones.

Which brings me to a question :). Will you set up a generic "customer"
account or will you pay the user fee for each client?