From: Randy Yates on
Randy Yates <yates(a)ieee.org> writes:
> [...]

A couple of corrections...

> That's because, when the non-quantization noise is much less than the
> quantization noise, you're only going to get a repeating sequence of
> four values, and that looks like a pure sine wave at Fs/4 without ANY
> (wideband) quantization noise.

Well, it looks like a pure periodic signal with no (wideband)
quantization noise.

> Additionally, I found, using Octave, that because of the phenomenom of
> the previous paragraph, the non-Fs/2 bins

....the non-Fs/4 bins...
--
Randy Yates % "Bird, on the wing,
Digital Signal Labs % goes floating by
From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 11/19/2009 5:22 AM, Randy Yates wrote:
> "guru_kaliraj"<guru_kaliraj(a)yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Eric,
>> This explains me clearly why I'm getting less SNR. Yes!. Both sample
>> rate& signal is not synchronized& hence as you mentioned my signal phase
>> is playing a role of affecting SNR. Thanks for the reply.
>> Probably, writing some algorithm so that my sample start& end is
>> controlled (I'm planning to select samples - to get same value of digital
>> code at start& end -- and this will make sure that phase drift is
>> adjusted) will help me to increase the SNR.
>>
>> Thanks again!
>
> Wow! I'm glad the two of you know what you're talking about. I really
> don't have a clue.
>
> In fact, I ran a Matlab simulation of this and found just the opposite,
> i.e., that when Fs = 4*f, the measured SNR is way, way bigger than the
> actual.
>
> That's because, when the non-quantization noise is much less than the
> quantization noise, you're only going to get a repeating sequence of
> four values, and that looks like a pure sine wave at Fs/4 without ANY
> (wideband) quantization noise. The quantization noise translates into
> phase and/or magnitude error of the sine wave.

Isn't phase and/or magnitude error noise?

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: Randy Yates on
Eric Jacobsen <eric.jacobsen(a)ieee.org> writes:

> On 11/19/2009 5:22 AM, Randy Yates wrote:
>> "guru_kaliraj"<guru_kaliraj(a)yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Eric,
>>> This explains me clearly why I'm getting less SNR. Yes!. Both sample
>>> rate& signal is not synchronized& hence as you mentioned my signal phase
>>> is playing a role of affecting SNR. Thanks for the reply.
>>> Probably, writing some algorithm so that my sample start& end is
>>> controlled (I'm planning to select samples - to get same value of digital
>>> code at start& end -- and this will make sure that phase drift is
>>> adjusted) will help me to increase the SNR.
>>>
>>> Thanks again!
>>
>> Wow! I'm glad the two of you know what you're talking about. I really
>> don't have a clue.
>>
>> In fact, I ran a Matlab simulation of this and found just the opposite,
>> i.e., that when Fs = 4*f, the measured SNR is way, way bigger than the
>> actual.
>>
>> That's because, when the non-quantization noise is much less than the
>> quantization noise, you're only going to get a repeating sequence of
>> four values, and that looks like a pure sine wave at Fs/4 without ANY
>> (wideband) quantization noise. The quantization noise translates into
>> phase and/or magnitude error of the sine wave.
>
> Isn't phase and/or magnitude error noise?

Not when you're expecting to be able to measure noise in the non-Fs/4
bins of the FFT.
--
Randy Yates % "The dreamer, the unwoken fool -
Digital Signal Labs % in dreams, no pain will kiss the brow..."
From: Mark on
On Nov 19, 12:06 pm, Eric Jacobsen <eric.jacob...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> On 11/19/2009 5:22 AM, Randy Yates wrote:
>

> > "guru_kaliraj"<guru_kali...(a)yahoo.com>  writes:
>
> >> Hi Eric,
> >>        This explains me clearly why I'm getting less SNR. Yes!.. Both sample
> >> rate&  signal is not synchronized&  hence as you mentioned my signal phase
> >> is playing a role of affecting SNR. Thanks for the reply.
> >>          Probably, writing some algorithm so that my sample start&  end is
> >> controlled (I'm planning to select samples - to get same value of digital
> >> code at start&  end -- and this will make sure that phase drift is
> >> adjusted) will help me to increase the SNR.
>
> >> Thanks again!
>
> > Wow! I'm glad the two of you know what you're talking about. I really
> > don't have a clue.
>
> > In fact, I ran a Matlab simulation of this and found just the opposite,
> > i.e., that when Fs = 4*f, the measured SNR is way, way bigger than the
> > actual.
>
> > That's because, when the non-quantization noise is much less than the
> > quantization noise, you're only going to get a repeating sequence of
> > four values, and that looks like a pure sine wave at Fs/4 without ANY
> > (wideband) quantization noise.  The quantization noise translates into
> > phase and/or magnitude error of the sine wave.
>
> Isn't phase and/or magnitude error noise?
>

> > Additionally, I found, using Octave, that because of the phenomenom of
> > the previous paragraph, the non-Fs/2 bins of the FFT are identically
> > zero, and therefore their magnitude is zero, and therefore the log10()
> > of their magnitude is one of those special double exception values
> > -Inf, making the plot unusable.
>
> > --Randy
>
> >> Regards,
> >> Guru

> >> fixed
> >> fixed
> >> just
> >> signal
> >> same --
> >> 83dB.
> >> SNR (
> >> the
> >> got
> >> signal

> >> idea.
>
> --
> Eric Jacobsen
> Minister of Algorithms
> Abineau Communicationshttp://www.abineau.com- Hide quoted text -

audio folks talk about this often...

we tend to call RANDOM phase nad magnitude erros noise...

and phase and magnitude erros that are corrolated to the signal we
call distortion...

It is unfortunate that "quantizing noise" is a misnomer and would be
more descriptive if it was called quantizing distortion.

Mark
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Mark <makolber(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
(really big snip)

> audio folks talk about this often...

> we tend to call RANDOM phase nad magnitude erros noise...

> and phase and magnitude erros that are corrolated to the signal we
> call distortion...

Hmm. My first thought about distortion is that it should be
proportional to the signal, or some low power of the signal,
such that it goes to zero as the signal goes to zero.

> It is unfortunate that "quantizing noise" is a misnomer and
> would be more descriptive if it was called quantizing distortion.

Since "quantization noise" stays approximately constant as
the signal gets small, and so becomes proportionately larger,
calling it "noise" seems fine to me. It does go away when the
signal actually gets to zero, but for very small but still audible
signals it is important.

-- glen