From: MM on
A few weeks ago I was asking about the performance of ADO against an
Access 97 mdb, and later, taking advice, I implemented DAO to compare.

However, now I have had occasion to test my project on Windows 2000
and the performance is way, way better with ADO. Same VB6 program,
same CPU/Mobo, same query, same database. The only thing that is
different is that the W2K PC has 1gb of RAM whereas my standard Win
98SE PC has 512mb.

Is the performance increase due to W2K being a fundamentally different
OS, maybe using threads automatically, or other 'speed up' tricks?
Could the extra RAM make such a huge difference. I'm talking about 25
secs on the Win 98SE box and 3 secs on the W2K PC.

MM
From: ralph on
On Sun, 23 May 2010 16:32:13 +0100, MM <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>A few weeks ago I was asking about the performance of ADO against an
>Access 97 mdb, and later, taking advice, I implemented DAO to compare.
>
>However, now I have had occasion to test my project on Windows 2000
>and the performance is way, way better with ADO. Same VB6 program,
>same CPU/Mobo, same query, same database. The only thing that is
>different is that the W2K PC has 1gb of RAM whereas my standard Win
>98SE PC has 512mb.
>
>Is the performance increase due to W2K being a fundamentally different
>OS, maybe using threads automatically, or other 'speed up' tricks?
>Could the extra RAM make such a huge difference. I'm talking about 25
>secs on the Win 98SE box and 3 secs on the W2K PC.
>
>MM

Not sure I would use the term "fundamentally different", but yes the
NT VMM is a better virtual memory manager and file manager than W98's.
Also the increase in available physical RAM always helps to improve
performance.

A more interesting test will be to compare DAO to ADO on the Win2k
box.
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
ralph <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.net> wrote:

>A more interesting test will be to compare DAO to ADO on the Win2k
>box.

Agreed. I've also never quite trusted ADO in that there are so many
versions of it out there. DAO 3.6/Jet 4.0 has been part of the OS
basically stayed the same since Windows 2000 through to Windows 7. I
say basically because there have been SPs and security patches through
out it's history.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Nobody on
"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm talking about 25
> secs on the Win 98SE box and 3 secs on the W2K PC.

I think you are seeing the effects of file system cache. You need to restart
to get a comparable result.

From: MM on
On Mon, 24 May 2010 01:44:38 -0400, "Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com>
wrote:

>"MM" <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I'm talking about 25
>> secs on the Win 98SE box and 3 secs on the W2K PC.
>
>I think you are seeing the effects of file system cache. You need to restart
>to get a comparable result.

Eh?

The 25 secs figure on 98SE never varies more than a second either way.
The W2K figure is consistently a fraction of what it is on 98SE.

MM