From: Des on
Hi can anyone tell me the difrence

On checking availability in a na rea
ADSL 2M
DSL 6M

I thought ADSL was a faster better version of DSL

Desmond.
From: Paul on
Des wrote:
> Hi can anyone tell me the difrence
>
> On checking availability in a na rea
> ADSL 2M
> DSL 6M
>
> I thought ADSL was a faster better version of DSL
>
> Desmond.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adsl

Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line

Downstream spectrum is bigger than upstream, supporting
more downloading than uploading. That is what a
typical consumer desktop would want (Torrenting aside).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ADSL_frequency_plan.svg

If you're running a business, they have options where
the bandwidth is symmetric. That means the download and upload are
closer in value to one another. That is more suitable for some
kind of server, like a web server. Where I live, I don't know
exactly what standard they use for that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetric_Digital_Subscriber_Line

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Subscriber_Line

I expect the two adverts you're quoting above, are both
ADSL.

ADSL can go as high as about 24Mbit/sec, in cases where the
latest standards are used, and the telephone company is
comfortable with the extended spectrum needed on the lines.
I'm still on the "8Mbit or less" standard here. I think
the telephone company here, will only roll out that kind of service,
as part of some kind of TV downloading feature ($$$ per month).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_Digital_Subscriber_Line_2_Plus

With the latest trends to capping the total bandwidth usage to
ridiculous levels, it really doesn't matter what the max
transmission rate is. You can easily use up your monthly allowance
in a hurry. For example, here, I expect to be moved from
200GB/month to 60GB/month, with no reduction in price at all.
If I were watching TV via the Internet, I'd burn that up in
no time.

Paul
From: Flasherly on
On Jul 22, 9:37 am, Des <desotuat...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> Hi can anyone tell me the difrence
>
> On checking availability in a na rea
> ADSL 2M
> DSL 6M
>
> I thought ADSL was a faster better version of DSL
>
> Desmond.

Various flavors of xDSL acronyms with ADSL being preponderant in US,
higher upload constraints on primary intended download usage (haven't
exactly looked at Seoul's infrastructure). Basically, a connection
created by a modem pair enabling high-speed communications (some would
additionally emphasis for their modem, and not something one buy off
fleabay for $19), or everything between and within constraints of wire
guage and that relational distance to the IP's mutiplexer.

I'd hazard that 6M is within full operable xDSL specifications and the
2M is a subset of shaping - tiered or limited characteristics for
plans and business models at fifty-times a cost thruput over analog
modems (what the ISP's pay for that cost is apparently not a subject
any if at all readily care to discuss).

I'd also think to stress a cost of fleabay -if- within constraints of
wire guage & etcl, especially in lieu of such dedicated bases for
customer service, such as Verizon contracts out to India or Pakistan;-
it's where I was energetically told that if I didn't buy their modem
or know precisely what I was doing with another, I could damage the
"networks".