From: Richard Bland on
OK, so I'm new to Cisco and picked up an 857 off fleabay. After playing
around with it, I seems I need to update the ADSL firmware to get a
stable connection (UK C&W LLU ADSL2+).

However, it looks like I need to buy a support account before I can
access firmware updates. Is this right?

Cheers,

Rich.
From: bod43 on
On 16 Mar, 06:04, Richard Bland <regis...(a)combinedeffort.com> wrote:
> OK, so I'm new to Cisco and picked up an 857 off fleabay. After playing
> around with it, I seems I need to update the ADSL firmware to get a
> stable connection (UK C&W LLU ADSL2+).
>
> However, it looks like I need to buy a support account before I can
> access firmware updates. Is this right?

Some slightly older firmware is available at:-
ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/
Most users will need to specify passive ftp
for IE or use Firefox which does passive by default.

I think 3.0.10 is the latest available there. 4.10.19 is for
adsl over ISDN - I seem to recall.

Read the release notes.

Sorry just noticed you have ADSL2+.
In my experience 3.0.10 will give a stable connection with
original ADSL - no idea about ADSL2+.

The latest stuff seems to be only available if you have a
maintenance agreement.

In the past with original ADSL I have found advantage in
in specifying the "dsl operating-mode" away from auto.

From: Richard Bland on
bod43 wrote:
> Some slightly older firmware is available at:-
> ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/
> Most users will need to specify passive ftp
> for IE or use Firefox which does passive by default.
>
> I think 3.0.10 is the latest available there. 4.10.19 is for
> adsl over ISDN - I seem to recall.
>
> Read the release notes.
>

> Sorry just noticed you have ADSL2+.
> In my experience 3.0.10 will give a stable connection with
> original ADSL - no idea about ADSL2+.
>
> The latest stuff seems to be only available if you have a
> maintenance agreement.
>
> In the past with original ADSL I have found advantage in
> in specifying the "dsl operating-mode" away from auto.

Thanks for the operating-mode tip - I've already tried 3.0.10 and 3.0.33
from the public FTP site without much change in stability and was hoping
for easy access to 4.0.18...

However, the operating-mode change intrigues me as I've seen it posted a
couple of other places. Will try that this evening.

Cheers,

Rich.
From: bod43 on
On 16 Mar, 18:36, Richard Bland <register(a)combinedeffort.com> wrote:
> bod43 wrote:
> > Some slightly older firmware is available at:-
> >ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/
> > Most users will need to specify passive ftp
> > for IE or use Firefox which does passive by default.
>
> > I think 3.0.10 is the latest available there. 4.10.19 is for
> > adsl over ISDN - I seem to recall.
>
> > Read the release notes.
>
> > Sorry just noticed you have ADSL2+.
> > In my experience 3.0.10 will give a stable connection with
> > original ADSL - no idea about ADSL2+.
>
> > The latest stuff seems to be only available if you have a
> > maintenance agreement.
>
> > In the past with original ADSL I have found advantage in
> > in specifying the "dsl operating-mode" away from auto.
>
> Thanks for the operating-mode tip - I've already tried 3.0.10 and 3.0.33
> from the public FTP site without much change in stability and was hoping
> for easy access to 4.0.18...
>
> However, the operating-mode change intrigues me as I've seen it posted a
> couple of other places. Will try that this evening.

Support for the 857 will not cost much.

I forget exactly - 15% of list price per year.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for the operating mode.
Worth a try tho'.

Check your mail.