From: geoff on
The 890 chipset appears to be the last one from AMD until next year, when
their 'Fusion' APU chip comes out which combines the CPU and GPU.

What are the advantages? A search on google did not show any results where
someone can articulate, specifically, the advantages.

I also have trouble believing that a high end graphics card would not easily
outperform an APU.

--g

From: Paul on
geoff wrote:
> The 890 chipset appears to be the last one from AMD until next year, when
> their 'Fusion' APU chip comes out which combines the CPU and GPU.
>
> What are the advantages? A search on google did not show any results where
> someone can articulate, specifically, the advantages.
>
> I also have trouble believing that a high end graphics card would not easily
> outperform an APU.
>
> --g

It might lower the overall cost of building a business computer, as
it means one less chip. For enthusiasts, I don't think this means
anything, as they'll want something a bit more powerful.

http://sites.amd.com/us/fusion/apu/Pages/fusion.aspx

Paul
From: Man-wai Chang on
> What are the advantages? A search on google did not show any results where
> someone can articulate, specifically, the advantages.
> I also have trouble believing that a high end graphics card would not easily
> outperform an APU.

Fusion is not about 3D games I believe, but about smaller form factors
for notebooks.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34
From: geoff on
> http://sites.amd.com/us/fusion/apu/Pages/fusion.aspx

This what I mean, the advantages are (from the above page):
- APU designs enable an amazing experience in any form factor . . .
- . . . enhance the user experience and speed application performance . . .

.. . . which basically says nothing. I've seen this kind of thing before
when I worked in engineering environments. The person (or people) could not
articulate specifically what the advantages are. They would say, it'll be
amazing, etc. but the results turned out badly or below expectations.

AMD will produce no enhancements for 6 to 10 months maybe. Not a good move,
IMO.

--g

Pages: 1
Prev: Writing & Editing Jobs