From: philip.armitage on
ABLE is A Basic Lisp Editor released as Free software and built on the
excellent LTk library.

You can download a very early 0.1 release from:

http://phil.nullable.eu/

....where you can also read the documentation and look at some
screenshots. While it won't convert anyone away from Slime, it does
have the following features:

- Multi-file editing (tabbed interface)
- REPL like interface with command history
- Highlight any code and run it (F4 for current form, shift select or
mouse select)
- Parenthesis matching
- Automatic indenting
- Some documentation (!)

I only made the switch to Lisp about 4 months ago so if you feel the
urge to flame me, at least be thankful I did something constructive
with my Sunday afternoons rather than moaning about parenthesis or the
lack of decent libraries! Having said that, I would appreciate
feedback.

Phil

From: Ken Tilton on

philip.armitage(a)gmail.com wrote:
> ABLE is A Basic Lisp Editor released as Free software and built on the
> excellent LTk library.
>
> You can download a very early 0.1 release from:
>
> http://phil.nullable.eu/
>
> ...where you can also read the documentation and look at some
> screenshots. While it won't convert anyone away from Slime, it does
> have the following features:
>
> - Multi-file editing (tabbed interface)
> - REPL like interface with command history
> - Highlight any code and run it (F4 for current form, shift select or
> mouse select)
> - Parenthesis matching
> - Automatic indenting
> - Some documentation (!)
>
> I only made the switch to Lisp about 4 months ago so if you feel the
> urge to flame me, at least be thankful I did something constructive
> with my Sunday afternoons rather than moaning about parenthesis or the
> lack of decent libraries! Having said that, I would appreciate
> feedback.

1. Cool.
2. Menus are pretty easy in Tk (or did I miss those?)
3. Keep going: Lisp has a lot of meta-info you can use to put up fun
things like an Apropos dialog similar to the one that comes with ACL on
win32 and I believe Linux. Or do a nice multi-file "find/replace"
dialog. A GUI interface to ASDF might be fun. Mind you, only as /you/
encounter the need.
4. For the editing commands shared with Emacs, use the same keychords.
Or at least have an option to use win32 keychords or emacs keychords.

hth,kt

--
Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and
I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.
-- Elwood's Mom
From: Timofei Shatrov on
On 18 Feb 2007 09:43:09 -0800, philip.armitage(a)gmail.com tried to confuse
everyone with this message:

>ABLE is A Basic Lisp Editor released as Free software and built on the
>excellent LTk library.
>
>You can download a very early 0.1 release from:
>
>http://phil.nullable.eu/

Does it even work? I see some strange code such as...

(defun add-tag ((txt text) name start end)
(format-wish "~a tag add ~a ~a ~a" (widget-path txt) name start end))

I don't think any CL implementation can consume it :)

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... | ue il |
|But we can take them on! | @ma |
| (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip) |______________|
From: philip.armitage on
On Feb 18, 6:15 pm, Ken Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> philip.armit...(a)gmail.com wrote:
> > ABLE is A Basic Lisp Editor released as Free software and built on the

> 2. Menus are pretty easy in Tk (or did I miss those?)

I couldn't decide whether to add a menu or not as I try to use the
keyboard but I can certainly add one as it's so easy.

> 3. Keep going: Lisp has a lot of meta-info you can use to put up fun
> things like an Apropos dialog similar to the one that comes with ACL on
> win32 and I believe Linux. Or do a nice multi-file "find/replace"
> dialog. A GUI interface to ASDF might be fun. Mind you, only as /you/
> encounter the need.

Nice ideas. My to-do list's getting quite long but I might add some of
these on there too.

> 4. For the editing commands shared with Emacs, use the same keychords.
> Or at least have an option to use win32 keychords or emacs keychords.

I've struggled a little with this one, specifically unbinding the
default Tk bindings. I can disable them all for a class of widget but
not replace them for an individual instance. I'll post a question on
the LTk list at some point as it's more appropriate on there.

> hth,kt

Very much so, thanks.

Phil

From: Ken Tilton on

philip.armitage(a)gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 18, 6:15 pm, Ken Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>philip.armit...(a)gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>ABLE is A Basic Lisp Editor released as Free software and built on the
>

>>2. Menus are pretty easy in Tk (or did I miss those?)
>

> I couldn't decide whether to add a menu or not as I try to use the
> keyboard but I can certainly add one as it's so easy.

To me menus are documentation, as to what is possible and even the
keychord to use. (And that is why I suggested them, not for actual
regular use.)

>>3. Keep going: Lisp has a lot of meta-info you can use to put up fun
>>things like an Apropos dialog similar to the one that comes with ACL on
>>win32 and I believe Linux. Or do a nice multi-file "find/replace"
>>dialog. A GUI interface to ASDF might be fun. Mind you, only as /you/
>>encounter the need.
>

> Nice ideas. My to-do list's getting quite long but I might add some of
> these on there too.
>

>>4. For the editing commands shared with Emacs, use the same keychords.
>>Or at least have an option to use win32 keychords or emacs keychords.
>

> I've struggled a little with this one, specifically unbinding the
> default Tk bindings. I can disable them all for a class of widget but
> not replace them for an individual instance. I'll post a question on
> the LTk list at some point as it's more appropriate on there.

Or even c.l.tcl. My recall is fuzzy, but I thought the class-wise spec
of bindings was /in addition to/ the widget-wise. But it sounds like you
looked at that more recently than I. :)

btw, I meant to say good call on the tabbed windows, that is so huge
(ACL does it).

Also, as for the apology for running in the same Lisp, I am accustomed
to that from MCL and ACL IDEs. I know the latter does fancy things I do
not know much about like run in different threads or subprocesses or
something -- when I cannot interrupt my app I can often change to the
(usually hidden) ACL console and get a break acknowledged -- and
meanwhile /because/ you are in the same Lisp you have a leg up on Slime
in that your IDE can simply ask the runtime what is what in various
ways. And if (I do not know) you are limiting yourself to CLisp, it has
a killer MOP (I hear (from the author <g>)) so you could do /a lot/.

kzo