From: chuckmcknight on
Hi All,

I'm trying to locate a version of Lisp / Scheme that has been ported
to mobile devices (Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux, etc.). Is anyone
aware of an existing project / package or of anyone working on one?

Thanks!

Charles McKnight

From: Darren Bane on
In comp.lang.scheme chuckmcknight(a)gmail.com <chuckmcknight(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to locate a version of Lisp / Scheme that has been ported
> to mobile devices (Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux, etc.). Is anyone
> aware of an existing project / package or of anyone working on one?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Charles McKnight

I used LispMe ( http://www.lispme.de/lispme/ ) on PalmOS in the past, and
thought it was amazing considering the environmental constraints.

If you're on Linux, there is a plethora of implementations to choose
from (
http://community.schemewiki.org/?scheme-faq-standards#implementations ).
I like Scheme 48, but that's a matter of personal taste.
--
Darren Bane
From: Ray Dillinger on
chuckmcknight(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to locate a version of Lisp / Scheme that has been ported
> to mobile devices (Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux, etc.). Is anyone
> aware of an existing project / package or of anyone working on one?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Charles McKnight

Hm. Okay.... you're probably going to have more luck
finding small, embeddable schemes than you are small,
embeddable common-lisps. This is because scheme is much
simpler to implement and the standard does not require
features that occupy very much space. But I'll be happy
if a good example of what you're asking for can be found
in CL. For Schemes,

LispME is a scheme that runs on palm pilots and related
devices.
http://www.lispme.de/index.html#lispme/index.html

Pocket Scheme runs on Wince, Pocket PC, and Handheld PC,
with other ports likely.
www.mazama.net/scheme/pscheme.htm

SIOD is a tiny scheme implementation that used to fit
on a single floppy disk and was beloved of people who
embed scripting languages into things. IIRC, It was
made with Linux and ported to Mac & Windows. But it's
been a while since I heard of an update.
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/scheme-repository/imp/siod.html

SISC is a scheme that runs on Standard Java, and java
environments are directly supported by many mobile devices.
Depending on how much memory your device has, it may be
able to run SISC directly.
http://sisc.sourceforge.net/

Kawa, likewise, includes an implementation of scheme that
runs in a standard java environment. It may be small enough
to run on some mobile devices.
http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/index.html

Guile was developed on top of SCM as an extension language
for GNU, and has lots and lots of facilities for working
in your Linux boxes. It's reasonably small, too; well
within the reach of linux mobiles these days.
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/guile.html

SCM on the other hand is available without all the Guile
libs, and it's small, embeddable, and fast. You have to
have a C compiler to build it. On the other hand, you're
using linux, right? gcc works fine building executables
for most palmtops.
http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/SCM.html

Hope this helps.

From: Anton van Straaten on
> I'm trying to locate a version of Lisp / Scheme that has been ported
> to mobile devices (Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux, etc.). Is anyone
> aware of an existing project / package or of anyone working on one?

If you don't find anything more specific, it might be worth looking at
TinyScheme:

http://tinyscheme.sourceforge.net/home.html

William Bland embedded a version of it in the Linux kernel:

http://abstractnonsense.com/schemix/

....which would seem to indicate that it's quite port-able.

Anton
From: Pascal Costanza on
chuckmcknight(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to locate a version of Lisp / Scheme that has been ported
> to mobile devices (Symbian, Windows Mobile, Linux, etc.). Is anyone
> aware of an existing project / package or of anyone working on one?

clisp is very compact. ISLISP can be mostly considered as a subset of
Common Lisp, and OpenLisp is a maintained implementation of ISLISP which
is also very compact.

Whether these implementations run on mobile devices, I don't know.

Maybe ABCL is a possibility, which is an implementation of Common Lisp
on top of Java.

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net