From: Russell King on
On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 11:56:53AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Russell King wrote:
> >
> > No amount of reorganising the Kconfig files into a heirarchial manner
> > (which they already are) helps. Not one bit. Because they already are.
> > That's not where the problem is.
>
> I don't think you read the whole thread.
>
> Earlier on, I explained exactly what I wanted: just add some "select"
> statements to pickt he things you need per the particular target
> configuration. You seem to have missed that part.

Isn't that _also_ what I suggested with one modification - which
was based on your suggestion with a _bit_ _more_ _thought_? Oddly
that suggestion which you appear to have completely ignored - but
clearly you did get the mail because you quoted a few lines from it
in one of your subsequent replies - was based on your very idea.
The one which you said "what was the point of your mail".

Maybe the point is to discuss issues. You know, it's exceedingly
difficult to discuss things if the other side doesn't read messages
they're sent. Ergo, I don't think there's any point discussing this
any further; you've crystal clearly already stopped listening.

Maybe you should go back to that one which you gave such a flippant
reply to and re-read it, and actually productively comment on my
additional suggestion to yours?

--
Russell King
maintainer of:
From: Daniel Walker on
On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 11:56 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Russell King wrote:
> >
> > No amount of reorganising the Kconfig files into a heirarchial manner
> > (which they already are) helps. Not one bit. Because they already are.
> > That's not where the problem is.
>
> I don't think you read the whole thread.
>
> Earlier on, I explained exactly what I wanted: just add some "select"
> statements to pickt he things you need per the particular target
> configuration. You seem to have missed that part.
>
> In other words, you _can_ encode the information that is in the
> xyz_defconfig files by doing it in Kconfig.xyz files instead. But you do
> it in a human-readable manner. And the hierarchical thing is absolutely
> required for that - otherwise you'd end up with just another form of the
> current xyz_defconfig.
>
> See?
>
> In other words, you should be able to basically use "make allnoconfig"
> together with a Kconfig.xyz file input to select _exactly_ the pieces you
> need, and nothing else.

If you did this for drivers, what about disabling a driver? If we used
"select" wouldn't that force all the drivers on without allowing it to
be unselected?

Daniel

From: Russell King on
On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 12:35:42PM -0700, Daniel Walker wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 11:56 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Russell King wrote:
> > >
> > > No amount of reorganising the Kconfig files into a heirarchial manner
> > > (which they already are) helps. Not one bit. Because they already are.
> > > That's not where the problem is.
> >
> > I don't think you read the whole thread.
> >
> > Earlier on, I explained exactly what I wanted: just add some "select"
> > statements to pickt he things you need per the particular target
> > configuration. You seem to have missed that part.
> >
> > In other words, you _can_ encode the information that is in the
> > xyz_defconfig files by doing it in Kconfig.xyz files instead. But you do
> > it in a human-readable manner. And the hierarchical thing is absolutely
> > required for that - otherwise you'd end up with just another form of the
> > current xyz_defconfig.
> >
> > See?
> >
> > In other words, you should be able to basically use "make allnoconfig"
> > together with a Kconfig.xyz file input to select _exactly_ the pieces you
> > need, and nothing else.
>
> If you did this for drivers, what about disabling a driver? If we used
> "select" wouldn't that force all the drivers on without allowing it to
> be unselected?

I already covered that in my (ignored) email where I brought up a
"STD_CONFIG" config symbol, which could be disabled to turn off all
these additional "select"s.

--
Russell King
maintainer of:
From: Daniel Walker on
On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 20:45 +0100, Russell King wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 12:35:42PM -0700, Daniel Walker wrote:

> > > I don't think you read the whole thread.
> > >
> > > Earlier on, I explained exactly what I wanted: just add some "select"
> > > statements to pickt he things you need per the particular target
> > > configuration. You seem to have missed that part.
> > >
> > > In other words, you _can_ encode the information that is in the
> > > xyz_defconfig files by doing it in Kconfig.xyz files instead. But you do
> > > it in a human-readable manner. And the hierarchical thing is absolutely
> > > required for that - otherwise you'd end up with just another form of the
> > > current xyz_defconfig.
> > >
> > > See?
> > >
> > > In other words, you should be able to basically use "make allnoconfig"
> > > together with a Kconfig.xyz file input to select _exactly_ the pieces you
> > > need, and nothing else.
> >
> > If you did this for drivers, what about disabling a driver? If we used
> > "select" wouldn't that force all the drivers on without allowing it to
> > be unselected?
>
> I already covered that in my (ignored) email where I brought up a
> "STD_CONFIG" config symbol, which could be disabled to turn off all
> these additional "select"s.

I didn't ignore it, I guess I just didn't fully understand it ..

So your saying it would drop all the selects, but keep the selected
options in tact? Or it would just turn off all the selected options?

Daniel

From: Russell King on
On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 12:49:58PM -0700, Daniel Walker wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 20:45 +0100, Russell King wrote:

> > > If you did this for drivers, what about disabling a driver? If we used
> > > "select" wouldn't that force all the drivers on without allowing it to
> > > be unselected?
> >
> > I already covered that in my (ignored) email where I brought up a
> > "STD_CONFIG" config symbol, which could be disabled to turn off all
> > these additional "select"s.
>
> I didn't ignore it, I guess I just didn't fully understand it ..
>
> So your saying it would drop all the selects, but keep the selected
> options in tact? Or it would just turn off all the selected options?

config MACH_HALIBUT
bool "Halibut Board (QCT SURF7201A)"
select I2C if STD_CONFIG
select I2C_WHATEVER if STD_CONFIG

That means if you enable STD_CONFIG, you'll get everything that's required
selected. If you then disable STD_CONFIG, I believe Kconfig leaves
everything that was selected as still being selected.

So, what you _could_ do is start off with a blank configuration, then
configure a kernel with STD_CONFIG enabled and you end up with everything
that's required. If you then want to disable something that's selected,
turn off STD_CONFIG first, and you'll be able to turn off individual
options.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: