From: Geert Uytterhoeven on
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 03:02, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
<benh(a)kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 19:13 +0100, Russell King wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 07:46:23PM +0300, Tony Lindgren wrote:
>> > Compiling in multiple ARM platforms is trickier, we would have to get
>> > rid of the duplicate defines like NR_IRQS, then have some common clock
>> > framework etc. Then figure out some way to get rid of Makefile.boot.
>> > Russell probably has some other things in mind that would have to be
>> > changed to make this happen.
>
> Ok so multiple platforms in one kernel is a different subject and could

Supporting multiple platforms matters a lot to keep everything (not
just defconfigs)
under control.

Technically, on m68k we only need two defconfigs: sun3_defconfig (Sun 3 doesn't
use a Motorola MMU) and multi_defconfig (which is the logical OR of
all the other
defconfigs, and which should work on all non-Sun 3).

The reason we have the others is to ease building of platform-specific
kernels that
need less memory. I guess most of them can be (almost) regenerated from
multi_defconfig just by disabling support for the other platforms.

> warrant a different thread. However it's interesting because we do that
> quite well on powerpc :-)

So you could easily have one big common defconfig...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert(a)linux-m68k.org

-- Linus Torvalds
From: Geert Uytterhoeven on
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 08:30, Geert Uytterhoeven <geert(a)linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 03:02, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
> <benh(a)kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
>>
>> Ok so multiple platforms in one kernel is a different subject and could
>
> Supporting multiple platforms matters a lot to keep everything (not just defconfigs)
> under control.
>
> Technically, on m68k we only need two defconfigs: sun3_defconfig (Sun 3 doesn't
> use a Motorola MMU) and multi_defconfig (which is the logical OR of all the other
> defconfigs, and which should work on all non-Sun 3).

Ah, I forgot...

But indeed, most of the churn when updating the defconfigs (hmm, it's
been a while I submitted an
update) is in the non-arch part: disabling zillions of new options we
don't want.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt on
On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 08:30 +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > warrant a different thread. However it's interesting because we do
> that
> > quite well on powerpc :-)
>
> So you could easily have one big common defconfig...

Well, there are things we still don't allow in one binary, and I suspect
it would be nasty on ARM too, such as widely different core arch (which
in ARM land would translate into widely different ARM architecture
version).

But yeah, we can pretty much make giant defconfigs. They are not very
useful tho. In the embedded world, size constraints are quite strong and
so you really need to be able to target only the subset of things you
want for some types of devices.

Of course, for things like ARM netbooks, it would be nice to have one
giant defconfig that boots them all, and that's probably an achievable
goal if the variants between bootloaders can be sorted out.

Cheers,
Ben.

From: Catalin Marinas on
Grant Likely <grant.likely(a)secretlab.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Tony Lindgren <tony(a)atomide.com> wrote:
>> * Linus Torvalds <torvalds(a)linux-foundation.org> [100603 23:30]:
>>>
>>> and now you'd be able to basically generate a OMAP3EVM .config file by
>>> just running "allnoconfig" on that Kconfig.omap3_evm file. But it would
>>> only have to select the parts that are specific for the EVM platform,
>>> because the generic OMAP3 support would be picked by the Kconfig.omap3
>>> file, which in turn would not have to worry about the generic ARM parts
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> See?
>>
>> Sounds like a good improvment to me.
>
> (as one who just finishing updating powerpc defconfigs...) ditto here.
> I'd be happy to be rid of all the existing ppc defconfigs.
>
> I like the Kconfig approach, but to be useful (at least for me) there
> would need to be a way to get Kconfig to complain about things like
> broken selects as in your example.

There was an attempt to fix this (I can re-post if people are interested):

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/9/16/413

--
Catalin
From: Grant Likely on
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Paul Mackerras <paulus(a)samba.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 01:31:07PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
>> Now, the above is a _trivial_ one. And it's actually broken, because I
>> should not have forced CONFIG_USB (it depends on CONFIG_USB_SUPPORT).
>
> Seems to me that the brokenness of select is the main technical issue
> stopping us getting rid of the defconfigs. �If there was a way to tell
> the Kconfig machinery "I want CONFIG_USB on, you figure out what has
> to be enabled for that to make sense" then it would all work. �But
> that's a hard problem (and may possibly have multiple solutions).

Yes, I think you're right. If select was 'smart', then the whole
issue kind of goes away. But as you say, that is a hard problem.

In the mean time, I'd be satisfied with a solution that punted out an
error at configure time if select requirements did not get met. I
should look at the patch Catalin posted.

g.