From: KCB on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> rfdjr1(a)optonline.net wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 22:59:48 -0400, "KCB" <bcgc_qc(a)hootmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> <rfdjr1(a)optonline.net> wrote in message
>>> Just after Christmas I built a new system with the Asus P6X58D, using an
>>> i7 920. Windows 7 64-bit is the OS, with 6GB RAM (soon upgrading to
>>> 12GB). It has USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB ports, and supports intel's upcoming
>>> 6-Core chips (future-proof). The board is awesome, I can't recommend it
>>> highly enough. The sound is Realtek HD 7.1, dual gigabit LAN ports,
>>> etc... Check it out here:
>>> http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=wurRaDZ8lo4Ckukj
>>

>> Thanks. I checked it out. Looks like a great board but it's over $300
>> which is
>> over my budget right now. I'll have to shop around some.
>
> Sort the Newegg listing by price, and find something that way ?
>
> MSI X58 Pro-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX $190
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130226
>
> Asrock make some that are even cheaper, but I don't know if
> I trust Asrock to release a good BIOS. That is what ruined my
> last Asrock board, is the quality of the BIOS design. The
> board worked, as long as you didn't try to change anything
> in the BIOS.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813157163
>
> Also, when you see a reviewer mention "one of my DIMM slots didn't work",
> that may not be a problem with the DIMM connector itself. That
> could be a contact problem where the CPU meets the CPU socket. That
> is because the memory interfaces on i7, are on the CPU itself, so when
> a DIMM goes missing, it could just as easily be some channel
> pin on the memory interface that is not making contact.
>
> Similar contact problems were noted on LGA1156. I'm not aware of
> a web page for LGA1366, and I don't know if it has been
> documented other than being a suggestion in some of the
> enthusiast forums as a possible root cause of the DIMM problem.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3661
>
> Paul

Well, I can't comment on the Asrock BIOS as I've never had one. The article
at anandtech.com is definitely looking at Foxconn-made 1156 sockets. Hmmmm,
makes me wonder what my computers here and at work are using. That's not
something that's generally listed in a motherboard's spec sheet.

From: Foke on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:45:49 -0400, rfdjr1(a)optonline.net wrote:

>I'm about to have a new computer built, using an i7 920 Intel processor. My
>current computer is six years old and has an ASUS board which I've been very
>happy with. The only thing I've ever had to do to it is replace the onboard
>battery last year, and that was pre-emptive as the battery wasn't even failing
>yet. Does anyone have any suggestions for an ASUS model for an i7 chip? I can
>never figure out what the differences are between the various boards. I'd like
>to stay under $200 if possible, but it's not absolutely necessary. And I'd like
>at least 8 USB ports and good onboard sound, as this will be the first time I'm
>going without a sound card in 18 years, at least for now. And lastly, I don't
>know how the RAM is configured, but I'd like to start with 8Gb and be able to
>expand when I can.Thanks.

You're starting out with the wrong processor. The I7 920 requires the
more expensive X58 chipset. Go with the I7 860 which beats the 920 in
terms of performance and runs on the less expensive P55 chipset.

A good Asus mobo for that processor is the P7P55D.
From: Mr. Worf on
:
: Just after Christmas I built a new system with the Asus P6X58D,
using
: an i7 920. Windows 7 64-bit is the OS, with 6GB RAM (soon upgrading
: to 12GB). It has USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB ports, and supports intel's
: upcoming 6-Core chips (future-proof). The board is awesome, I can't
: recommend it highly enough. The sound is Realtek HD 7.1, dual
gigabit
: LAN ports, etc... Check it out here:
: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=wurRaDZ8lo4Ckukj

I find the new x58 chipsets and even the P55 w/USB 3 and SATA 3 (6
Gbps) still very pricey with Asus. I never was a fan of Asus in the
past, primarily due to mobo and RAM issues with good well known RAM
like Corsair and BIOS issues. I currently own an P5PE VM LGA 775 mobo
and I've had my fair share of issues with it. The only reason I am
even considering Asus now is unlike Gigabyte, Asus /USB 3 and SATA 3
(6 Gbps) don't have their speeds crippled while running in these
modes.

I also have been flipping back and forth whether to spend the extra
money on a P55 system or X58 system which (the latter) in theory may
sound like it's more future proof but unless you upgrade your CPU
every three to six months, I dont see how this mobo could be future
proof since things change so much every few years. At that time,
things will have changed so much that you'll need a completely new
CPU, RAM and mobo. Besides, the new CPUs are going to darn expensive
that most people won't be upgrading. They'll be getting an entire new
system in 18 months or so.

Any how, the general consensus by most everyone is that the i5 750
gives you the most bang for the buck and going to an i7 930 or 920 is
for those who really are into heavy HD DVD authoring/rendering. It's
not necessary and most apps won't be utilizing the extra cores any
ways.

In any case, it may not be a bad idea to wait longer until July or
August to see if the X68 platform will lower the price of the X58 and
P55 CPUs and mobos. Sadly, we're lacking much competition or choices
in terms of USB3 and SATA 3 mobos that an Asus board is the best in
terms of USB3 and SATA3, un;ess of course, you will NOT be running
high-end video cards and SLI or Crossfire won't be an issue cuz you
won't be utilizing the full bandwidth of the PCe 2 slot(s).