From: Ant on
Hello.

Does ASUS K8V SE Deluxe motherboard have problems booting up from USB
flash drives that have Windows 7 PE (used WinAIK v6.1.7600.16385 in
Windows 7 UE) on them?

When I boot it up, I quickly get this error: "Windows Boot Manager (text
mode) came up and said "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or
software change might be the cause...

File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data."

I tried the USB flash drives on other newer computers (e.g., Acer
AM3800), and they had no problems.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"We are anthill men upon an anthill world." --Ray Bradbury
/\___/\
( )
From: Ant on
>> When I boot it up, I quickly get this error: "Windows Boot Manager (text
>
> I made a bootable Ubuntu and Windows 95 DOS separarely, and had no
> problems using them. It seems like a problem with Windows 7 PE which is
> so weird.

FYI, flash drives were formatted as FAT32 with whatever tools supplied.
Even Ubuntu and Windows 95's DOS were FAT32.

W7 PE was built from WAIK v3.0.

Ubuntu was built from
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ ...

Windows 95's DOS boot was from
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ tool
with an old 3.5" Windows 95 boot disk in A: drive.
From: Ant on
>>> When I boot it up, I quickly get this error: "Windows Boot Manager (text
>>
>> I made a bootable Ubuntu and Windows 95 DOS separarely, and had no
>> problems using them. It seems like a problem with Windows 7 PE which is
>> so weird.
>
> FYI, flash drives were formatted as FAT32 with whatever tools supplied.
> Even Ubuntu and Windows 95's DOS were FAT32.
>
> W7 PE was built from WAIK v3.0.
>
> Ubuntu was built from
> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ ...
>
> Windows 95's DOS boot was from
> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ tool
> with an old 3.5" Windows 95 boot disk in A: drive.

Weird. I tried with 32-bit Vista b6000 RTM and it can't boot that
either.

I used another MS tool:
http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe
(help: http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool ).

I tried a 64-bit W7 CHK ISO and saw new details:
Source: d:\w7rtm\minkernel\boot\environ\app\bootmgr\bcd.c
Line: 226

I don't even see this file. I assume WinPE boots it up, extracts,
and run it? Or maybe something else?
From: Ant on
In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus Ant <ANTant(a)zimage.com> wrote:

>>> I made a bootable Ubuntu and Windows 95 DOS separarely, and had no
>>> problems using them. It seems like a problem with Windows 7 PE which is
>>> so weird.
>>
>> FYI, flash drives were formatted as FAT32 with whatever tools supplied.
>> Even Ubuntu and Windows 95's DOS were FAT32.
>>
>> W7 PE was built from WAIK v3.0.
>>
>> Ubuntu was built from
>> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ ...
>>
>> Windows 95's DOS boot was from
>> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ tool
>> with an old 3.5" Windows 95 boot disk in A: drive.
>
> Weird. I tried with 32-bit Vista b6000 RTM and it can't boot that
> either.
>
> I used another MS tool:
> http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe
> (help: http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool ).
>
> I tried a 64-bit W7 CHK ISO and saw new details:
> Source: d:\w7rtm\minkernel\boot\environ\app\bootmgr\bcd.c
> Line: 226
>
> I don't even see this file. I assume WinPE boots it up, extracts,
> and run it? Or maybe something else?

I was able to boot up Windows on my USB flash drive/stick after I took the risks (it did say checksum error after the reboot which scared me) to upgrade the old 1003 motherboard firmware/BIOS to the latest non-beta 1007, via a MS-DOS boot floppy 3.5" disk, and rebooting on this old ASUS K8V SE Deluxe machine.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=K8V%20SE%20Deluxe&os=17&SLanguage=en-us only specifies "Support new CPUs." updates since v1003 BIOS. Each update's listing didn't mention anything about USB devices, booting, etc.

I am still puzzled why I need to have the latest stable BIOS if the older worked fine for non-Windows OS' on USB flash drives/sticks.
--
"I am afraid that I am convinced that a community of human beings is a far more useful thing than a community of ants, and that if the human being is condemned and restricted to perform the same functions over and over again, he will not even be a good ant, not to mention a good human being." --Norbert Wiener
/\___/\ Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)