From: Todd Allcock on

"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> AT&T Inc. reported a 25% increase in second-quarter profit Thursday,
> helped by strong wireless growth and a sharp cost reductions.
>
> The Dallas-based company added 1.6 million wireless connections to top
> 90 million connections for the first time
>
> More than half of the new connections, however, involved nontraditional
> devices such as e-book readers or alarm-monitoring systems, which
> generate high profit margins but relatively little revenue.

That's a lot of Kindles and Nooks. I guess the iPad isn't decimating the
standalone ebook market as some have predicted...

From: DevilsPGD on
In message <0nm2o.617$F%7.367(a)newsfe10.iad> "Todd Allcock"
<elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>> AT&T Inc. reported a 25% increase in second-quarter profit Thursday,
>> helped by strong wireless growth and a sharp cost reductions.
>>
>> The Dallas-based company added 1.6 million wireless connections to top
>> 90 million connections for the first time
>>
>> More than half of the new connections, however, involved nontraditional
>> devices such as e-book readers or alarm-monitoring systems, which
>> generate high profit margins but relatively little revenue.
>
>That's a lot of Kindles and Nooks. I guess the iPad isn't decimating the
>standalone ebook market as some have predicted...

Under $200 vs over $500 is a big difference for people who are primarily
interested in reading books.
From: Charles on
In article <090k46l5t35bneht6vfsbt17kqhsrgfut1(a)4ax.com>, DevilsPGD
<Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage(a)crazyhat.net> wrote:

> Under $200 vs over $500 is a big difference for people who are primarily
> interested in reading books.

The price of Kindles and Nooks is getting low enough that I could see
having one in addition to my iPad. Something that could be taken to the
pool or beach. When they get to $100, which I think they might, I will
get one for sure.

--
Charles
From: DevilsPGD on
In message <230720101918407766%fort514(a)mac.com> Charles
<fort514(a)mac.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>In article <090k46l5t35bneht6vfsbt17kqhsrgfut1(a)4ax.com>, DevilsPGD
><Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage(a)crazyhat.net> wrote:
>
>> Under $200 vs over $500 is a big difference for people who are primarily
>> interested in reading books.
>
>The price of Kindles and Nooks is getting low enough that I could see
>having one in addition to my iPad. Something that could be taken to the
>pool or beach. When they get to $100, which I think they might, I will
>get one for sure.

I'm in exactly the same boat -- I read on both my iPhone and iPad, but
am still giving serious thought to a Kindle. Were it just a little bit
cheaper, I'd buy right now.

Once I buy, I'll use it a whole bunch for a couple months, then I'll go
back to my iPad to lend the Kindle to friends and family, and probably
get 3-4 more sales out of them before getting it back and/or someone (Hi
mom!) will keep it and I'll buy a new one for me.