From: danny burstein on
As there are a bunch of "location based" programs that
determine where you are by scanning for the local "wifi"
access points, grabbing the MACs, and doing a data base
lookup, I was thinkging of modifying some APs with
a bunch of specific MACs.

For example, I'd love to place Moscow's Red Square
on the Upper West Side of Manhattan...

I was looking around and couldn't find any APs that
seemed to have this option. Many would let me set
the _ethernet_ or the wired MAC, but not the wireless.

Anyone know of one? Thanks

dannyb(a)panix.com
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 18:24:25 +0000 (UTC), in
<i2cmop$lp3$1(a)reader1.panix.com>, danny burstein <dannyb(a)panix.com>
wrote:

>As there are a bunch of "location based" programs that
>determine where you are by scanning for the local "wifi"
>access points, grabbing the MACs, and doing a data base
>lookup, I was thinkging of modifying some APs with
>a bunch of specific MACs.
>
>For example, I'd love to place Moscow's Red Square
>on the Upper West Side of Manhattan...
>
>I was looking around and couldn't find any APs that
>seemed to have this option. Many would let me set
>the _ethernet_ or the wired MAC, but not the wireless.
>
>Anyone know of one? Thanks

Why would we want to help you do that?

--
John FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>
From: bod43 on
On 23 July, 19:30, John Navas <spamfilt...(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 18:24:25 +0000 (UTC), in
> <i2cmop$lp...(a)reader1.panix.com>, danny burstein <dan...(a)panix.com>
> wrote:
>
> >As there are a bunch of "location based" programs that
> >determine where you are by scanning for the local "wifi"
> >access points, grabbing the MACs, and doing a data base
> >lookup, I was thinkging of modifying some APs with
> >a bunch of specific MACs.
>
> >For example, I'd love to place Moscow's Red Square
> >on the Upper West Side of Manhattan...
>
> >I was looking around and couldn't find any APs that
> >seemed to have this option. Many would let me set
> >the _ethernet_ or the wired MAC, but not the wireless.
>
> >Anyone know of one? Thanks
>
> Why would we want to help you do that?

I would be astonished if Cisco routers and access
points did not permit this. Never tried though.

I would imagine that the linux based routers/access points
would allow it too.

Of course the current Windows drivers have decided
to enforce the LAA address conventions so you
might not have complete flexibility of address.