From: Christian Atteneder on
Hi guys!

It's time for a hardware upgrade and I am wondering which graphics card I
should choose. At the moment I use a Geforce 8800 GTX. One thing that
bothers me with ATI cards is the lack of Physx. How does this work in a
game? Is there no physics calculation at all or is it done by the CPU? Physx
might not be the most important thing in a game but it adds greatly to the
immersion and feeling - in my opinion.

Thanx!
Chris

From: Carl on

"Christian Atteneder" <christian.atteneder(at)uta.at> wrote in message
> Hi guys!
>
> It's time for a hardware upgrade and I am wondering which graphics card I
> should choose. At the moment I use a Geforce 8800 GTX. One thing that
> bothers me with ATI cards is the lack of Physx. How does this work in a
> game? Is there no physics calculation at all or is it done by the CPU?
> Physx
> might not be the most important thing in a game but it adds greatly to the
> immersion and feeling - in my opinion.
>
> Thanx!
> Chris

http://www.ngohq.com/news/16560-patch-re-enables-physx-when-ati-card-is-present.html

If you've got Windows 7, you should be able to use the nvidia card for
PhysX, according to the link above, and perhaps get a new ATI card, and
have a blast at the new Eyefinity setup? I had the standalone PhysX card,
and all it seemed to do was overheat!

From: peter on
read this article and pay attention to the games that work better with PhysX..or
the ones that don't need it.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/evga-gtx275-coop-physx.html

now determine which games (and wether they need Physx)you play and buy
accordingly

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

From: Benjamin Gawert on
Am 22.02.2010 19:13, * Carl:

> If you've got Windows 7, you should be able to use the nvidia card for
> PhysX, according to the link above, and perhaps get a new ATI card, and
> have a blast at the new Eyefinity setup? I had the standalone PhysX
> card, and all it seemed to do was overheat!

Not anymore. Nvidia in its great wisdom has implemented a check for an
ATI card in their drivers which if an ATI card is present disables
PhysX/CUDA.

Benjamin
From: Benjamin Gawert on
Am 22.02.2010 10:54, * Christian Atteneder:

> It's time for a hardware upgrade and I am wondering which graphics card I
> should choose. At the moment I use a Geforce 8800 GTX. One thing that
> bothers me with ATI cards is the lack of Physx. How does this work in a
> game? Is there no physics calculation at all or is it done by the CPU? Physx
> might not be the most important thing in a game but it adds greatly to the
> immersion and feeling - in my opinion.

If a game supports PhysX (which not many do) then it shows additional
physics effects if a Nvidia PhysX-enabled card is in the system. If not,
the games usually fall back to limited physics effects done by the CPU.

However, it is very doubtful how much longer PhysX in its current form
will survive. OpenCL is clearly the way to go for the future, and AMD
and HAVOK are currently working on an open Physics engine based on
OpenCL which will run on both AMD and Nvidia gfx cards. Either PhysX
will move to OpenCL as well (and then should work on ATI cards, too) or
won't have a very bright future.

IMHO much more important than PhysX support is actual game performance
and price/performance ratio.

Ben