From: Joe788 on
Beautiful restored 1927 4-8-4 steam locomotive that on May 1st 2010
made a special overnight trip to San Diego.

My new girlfriend and I were walking in Cardiff By The Sea on Saturday
when it passed by. Just an awesome sight to behold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5VG5OQwTNE

From: Gunner Asch on
On Tue, 4 May 2010 21:59:04 -0700 (PDT), Joe788 <larryrozer(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Beautiful restored 1927 4-8-4 steam locomotive that on May 1st 2010
>made a special overnight trip to San Diego.
>
>My new girlfriend and I were walking in Cardiff By The Sea on Saturday
>when it passed by. Just an awesome sight to behold.
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5VG5OQwTNE

Hell of a whistle. I cant remember ever hearing one exactly like that
before..and Im old enough to have ridden on steamers.

Gunner

From: Robert Swinney on
"Beautiful" is the word ! What was the function of the (apparent) Amtrac B power unit? The old
steamer appeared to be under nearly full load judging by the sound it made. Was the Amtrac B there
for aux functions, such as air conditioning, etc used in the coaches?

Bob Swinney

From: pdrahn on
On May 5, 8:40 am, "Robert Swinney" <judy...(a)tx.rr.com> wrote:
> "Beautiful" is the word !  What was the function of the (apparent) Amtrac B power unit?  The old
> steamer appeared to be under nearly full load judging by the sound it made.  Was the Amtrac B there
> for aux functions, such as air conditioning, etc used in the coaches?
>
> Bob Swinney
>
> "Joe788" <larryro...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Beautiful restored 1927 4-8-4 steam locomotive that on May 1st 2010
> made a special overnight trip to San Diego.
>
> My new girlfriend and I were walking in Cardiff By The Sea on Saturday
> when it passed by. Just an awesome sight to behold.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5VG5OQwTNE

Got to be the reason, Bob. The power needed just for the AC would have
killed the generator on the steam loco. I wondered for a while myself
when I saw that.

Grew up on the wrong side of the tracks.
Paul
From: stans4 on
On May 5, 11:28 am, "pdr...(a)coinet.com" <co_far...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On May 5, 8:40 am, "Robert Swinney" <judy...(a)tx.rr.com> wrote:
>

> > "Beautiful" is the word !  What was the function of the (apparent) Amtrac B power unit?  The old
> > steamer appeared to be under nearly full load judging by the sound it made.  Was the Amtrac B there
> > for aux functions, such as air conditioning, etc used in the coaches?
>
> > Bob Swinney
>
> > "Joe788" <larryro...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Beautiful restored 1927 4-8-4 steam locomotive that on May 1st 2010
> > made a special overnight trip to San Diego.
>
> > My new girlfriend and I were walking in Cardiff By The Sea on Saturday
> > when it passed by. Just an awesome sight to behold.
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5VG5OQwTNE
>
> Got to be the reason, Bob. The power needed just for the AC would have
> killed the generator on the steam loco. I wondered for a while myself
> when I saw that.
>
> Grew up on the wrong side of the tracks.
> Paul- Hide quoted text -

Supposedly, in days of old, they worked out how to get AC from steam
for railroad car comfort. Ran across that in an old refrigeration
book. No diagrams as to how it worked and I'm pretty sure it wasn't
using steam to heat the business side of an absorption unit.
Supposedly used the same hookup that they used for steam heating in
the passenger cars. Anybody seen anything about it anywhere?

Stan