From: PajaP on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 22:54:42 +0100, FredW <fredw(a)blackholespam.net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 20:51:33 +0000, PajaP
><pajap(a)news-only.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>I always wonder about the "many" false positives of Avira.
>I have Avira Antivir as a "second opinion" on-request scanner.
>I have it programmed to scan twice per week.
>I never see a "false positive".
>(and I never see anything else).
>Maybe because I do not have a "laboratory" PC?

Not had any myself with MSE, Avira or Avast here either (that I recall
but see below). Had some password crackers flagged, I think by all of
them, but I guess they don't count as they could be used auspiciously. I
did have some software that started flagging loads of issues with all
sorts of Windows files earlier this year but cannot remember which
program. Maybe Avast? Think it was a due to a bad update that was fixed
fairly quickly. I had quite a lot when I used AVG a few years ago, which
is why I stopped using it.

>The results are very nice and better than many (including me) expected.
>But I understand that "automagic" updates for Windows are required.
>And that is a no-go option for me.

They are unless you choose to turn it off and update manually. Either by
downloading the updates from the web site or using the manual update
button in MSE (which does work even if Windows Update is turned off).
I believe it was f-prot many years ago that I used a script with to
download and install the updates. Not sure if same could be done here.

>>Lets not forget though the Microsoft software is *free* and MS is fairly
>>new to the AV game.
>
>MSE is just as free a product as Avira, Avast and AVG, so it has to meet
>the competition.

The link to the report is using all paid for versions in the tests
(where one exists) though, which is the only reason I mentioned MSE is
free (there is no paid version).

>And it is not the very first attempt of Microsoft to provide AV-software
>(usually bought from a third party).
>A previous attempt - some years ago (Giant?) - failed clearly.

I guess MSE could go the same way. This time though I think/hope it is
for the long-term. I will be using it for as long as it is available
(unless I find something that better meets my requirements).

>>To me what this shows is MSE is on the way up and could mean Avira is on
>>the way down. Not because Avira has become a bad product, just the
>>competition has upped it game. Hopefully Avira can turn it around again
>>in 2010 but I am sticking with Microsoft (for now).
>
>I do not support this conclusion.
>What way down and what way up would that be?

In the comparison sites opinions. I don't think MSE is going to hit
their user base but they would know better about that. I do not think
Avira has become a worse product than it was, quite the opposite
(despite the issues I have had with it).

>As usual AV-programs are just a little bit better or just a little bit
>less than others.
>Avira has a long standing record (many years the best or second best),
>Microsoft still has to gain such endurance.
> ;-)

Agreed. Hopefully they will. I am hoping it is an indication they are
going to take overall security a little more seriously. With MSE and
Windows 7 it appears they are.
From: PajaP on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 22:34:57 +0000, PajaP
<pajap(a)news-only.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>I believe it was f-prot many years ago that I used a script with to
>download and install the updates. Not sure if same could be done here.

This looks like a likely candidate for automatically updating MSE
without Windows Update being on:

http://lifehacker.com/5406683/mse-update-utility-keeps-security-up-to-date-without-windows-update