From: brianedow on
Does anyone know about a false positive for AVG reporting Win32/
DH.CAFF82037E "may" "unknown" virus?
From: FromTheRafters on
"brianedow" <brianedow(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know about a false positive for AVG reporting Win32/
> DH.CAFF82037E "may" "unknown" virus?

Submit the file to virustotal.com, jotti.org, or virscan.org to see what
other scanner's report.

Also, it is important to know the filename and the location in which it
was found (full path).

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "brianedow" <brianedow(a)gmail.com>

| Does anyone know about a false positive for AVG reporting Win32/
| DH.CAFF82037E "may" "unknown" virus?

What FromTheRafters said and...

Please upload a copy of the suspect file to; http://www.uploadmalware.com/ for analysis.

Post the information from Virus Total and the fully qualified name and path of the file
and that you uploaded it to Upload Malware.

--
Dave

From: brianedow on
I got response from AVG! It appears to be a false positive!

"
Dear customer,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, the previous virus database might have detected the
mentioned virus on some legitimate applications. We can confirm that
it was a false alarm. We have immediately released a new virus update
that removes the false positive detection on this file. Please update
your AVG and check your files again.

If you need to restore deleted files from AVG Virus Vault you can do
it this way:
- Open AVG user interface.
- Choose "Virus Vault" option from the "History" menu.
- Locate the file that was incorrectly removed and select it (one
click).
- Click on the "Restore" button.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

In case that we can be of any further assistance, please do not
hesitate to contact us again.
Thank you.

Best regards,

Martin Valchev
AVG Customer Services"

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "brianedow" <brianedow(a)gmail.com>

| I got response from AVG! It appears to be a false positive!

| "
| Dear customer,

| Thank you for your email.

| Unfortunately, the previous virus database might have detected the
| mentioned virus on some legitimate applications. We can confirm that
| it was a false alarm. We have immediately released a new virus update
| that removes the false positive detection on this file. Please update
| your AVG and check your files again.

Well that's that.... :-)

Thank you for the update.

--