From: Fred Towery Fred on
I hope you can help me.

I'm troubleshooting an issue currently with only two users with emails that
are stuck in one of our outbound smtp queues. They've been stuck in there
all day and I've tried forcing the connection and also unfreezing the email
to no avail.

I've manually connected to the smtp connectors that we have defined and am
able to send emails directly from the telnet session from the server.

I've also sent one of the users an email from the destination and had her
reply which she did and I received it.

I have double checked the mx records which identify the six remote servers
to which we connect.

One of the messages has been retrying for about 70 some times and the others
are close behind.
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:33:01 -0700, Fred Towery <Fred
Towery(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I hope you can help me.
>
>I'm troubleshooting an issue currently with only two users with emails that
>are stuck in one of our outbound smtp queues. They've been stuck in there
>all day and I've tried forcing the connection and also unfreezing the email
>to no avail.
>
>I've manually connected to the smtp connectors that we have defined and am
>able to send emails directly from the telnet session from the server.
>
>I've also sent one of the users an email from the destination and had her
>reply which she did and I received it.
>
>I have double checked the mx records which identify the six remote servers
>to which we connect.
>
>One of the messages has been retrying for about 70 some times and the others
>are close behind.

What release of Exchange?

Why are the messages being retried? They aren't "stuck" if their
delivery is being retried. The receiving server is probably sending a
4xx status.

It may be that your server is in some DNSBL or a block list at the
receiving site. Check your SMTP protocol log and see what you're
sending to the other machine and what its response codes are. If need
be, contact the admin at the other site and ask for help in
understanding why they won't accept your e-mail.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP