From: Mezlo on
We have a single Exchange 2007 server in our domain. I'm trying to
allow a single machine on our local network to send email through it.
I've followed multiple step-by-step documents on setting up receive
connectors but no matter what I do I still get "550 5.7.1 Unable to
relay" when sending to an external email address from that machine.
I'm confident I've set up the receive connector correctly so what
other settings in exchange 2007 can cause this error?

Mezlo
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:55:13 -0700 (PDT), Mezlo <mezlo(a)sunfire.org>
wrote:

>We have a single Exchange 2007 server in our domain. I'm trying to
>allow a single machine on our local network to send email through it.
>I've followed multiple step-by-step documents on setting up receive
>connectors but no matter what I do I still get "550 5.7.1 Unable to
>relay" when sending to an external email address from that machine.
>I'm confident I've set up the receive connector correctly so what
>other settings in exchange 2007 can cause this error?

I'd have to conclude that you're over-confident. :-)

You haven't said what it was you did, nor provided any links to the
instructions you've followed. You don't say whether the SMTP client is
authenticating or using an anonymous session, either.

But given the scant information you've given, and the fact that the
machine is able to use the receive connector to send e-mail to domains
that the Exchange server knows about (i.e. they're "Accepted
Domains"), I'd guess you haven't set the correct permission on the
Receive Connector (Ms-Exchange-SMTP-Accept-Any-Recipient).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232021(EXCHG.80).aspx
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Mezlo on
On Mar 15, 8:19 pm, "Rich Matheisen [MVP]"
<richn...(a)rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:55:13 -0700 (PDT), Mezlo <me...(a)sunfire.org>
> wrote:
>
> >We have a single Exchange 2007 server in our domain. I'm trying to
> >allow a single machine on our local network to send email through it.
> >I've followed multiple step-by-step documents on setting up receive
> >connectors but no matter what I do I still get "550 5.7.1 Unable to
> >relay" when sending to an external email address from that machine.
> >I'm confident I've set up the receive connector correctly so what
> >other settings in exchange 2007 can cause this error?
>
> I'd have to conclude that you're over-confident. :-)
>
> You haven't said what it was you did, nor provided any links to the
> instructions you've followed. You don't say whether the SMTP client is
> authenticating or using an anonymous session, either.
>
> But given the scant information you've given, and the fact that the
> machine is able to use the receive connector to send e-mail to domains
> that the Exchange server knows about (i.e. they're "Accepted
> Domains"), I'd guess you haven't set the correct permission on the
> Receive Connector (Ms-Exchange-SMTP-Accept-Any-Recipient).
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232021(EXCHG.80).aspx
> ---
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/12/28/432013.aspx lists the 2
methods I tried but I finally figured it out. I was setting up the
connector correctly, but for some reason the exchange server was
seeing the IP address of our router, not the IP address of the server
sending the email even though they are on the same subnet. I added the
router IP to the connector and now it works. Thanks for you reply.

Mez
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 06:35:19 -0700 (PDT), Mezlo <mezlo(a)sunfire.org>
wrote:

[ snip ]

>http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/12/28/432013.aspx lists the 2
>methods I tried but I finally figured it out. I was setting up the
>connector correctly, but for some reason the exchange server was
>seeing the IP address of our router, not the IP address of the server
>sending the email even though they are on the same subnet. I added the
>router IP to the connector and now it works. Thanks for you reply.

Then the problem isn't Exchange, but the router. It shouldn't be
changing the source address unless it's acting as a SMTP relay.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP