From: Kari Laine on
Hi,

I would need some guidance.

I am thinking about developing an integrated development environment for
Byvac BV513 and other it's products. My idea was to base it on
Qt-creator (from Nokia).

I think what I need to do is a fork. I will need to change the name.
But what about the copyrights of the Nokia?
If I leave the standard Nokia copyright at the beginning of each
file I will attribute my bad code to Nokia, which I don't like to do.
If I remove the Nokia's copyright I basically steal code...

I have come to conclusion that not much of the Nokia's code will
survive as it is. I also will try to implement a testing emulation
environment. Files which I create are easy but those owned from Nokia is
the problem.

I think this question is general to Open Source development. How one can
use bits and pieces from other existing applications and stay
with the license.

Any help highly appreciated.

I don't mind direct mail, if you don't want discuss this publicly.

Best Regards
Kari

--
PIC - ARM - Microcontrollers - I2C - SPI
Keypads - USB-RS232 - USB-I2C - Accessories

From: Harold Stevens on
In <e6ue269ggftlri520qoakfdfvgefqb42qu(a)4ax.com> Pieyed Piper:

[Snip...tripe]

Ok, lookie; it's BarnCat, etc. Again. Buh-bye!

I toss GoogleGroup (http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/).
From: Shmuel Metz on
In <slrni2efsf.4a6.houghi(a)penne.houghi>, on 06/27/2010
at 02:09 PM, houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> said:

>It all depends on what Nokia's copyright says.

No, it depends on what Nokia's license says. It's dollars to donuts
that the license will require retention of the copyright notices.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

From: Shmuel Metz on
In <_L2dne-UvPM8qrrRnZ2dnUVZ8rSdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, on 06/27/2010
at 02:30 PM, Kari Laine <klaine8(a)gmail.com> said:

>I would need some guidance.

Indeed, but not about OpenSUSE. Why post here?

>But what about the copyrights of the Nokia?

What about them? Have you read Nokia's license? What does it say about
copying the code? What does it say about copyright notices? Without
permission from Nokia you are not allowed to copy their code, except
for what is covered by the fair use doctrine.

>If I leave the standard Nokia copyright at the beginning of each
>file I will attribute my bad code to Nokia, which I don't like to
>do.

You do plan to comment your code, don't you? Include authorship in the
comments.

>If I remove the Nokia's copyright I basically steal code...

If you copy the code without permission from Nokia then you have
already stolen it, even if you leave the copyright notices intact.

>I think this question is general to Open Source development. How one
>can use bits and pieces from other existing applications and stay
>with the license.

Read the license. Abide by its terms. There is no OSFA.

>Any help highly appreciated.

See a lawyer if you don't understand Nokia's license.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org