From: xxx_ on
I am on a PC with Pentium 4 3GHz with HT technology, 512MB of Kingston
PC3200 (400MHz). When I look at the Front Side Bus (FSB), Memory bus
properties and the chipset bus properties, I notice that they are not
operating at its effective clock. May I know how to get them running at its
effective clock?

Field Value
Motherboard PropertiesMotherboard
ID 09/08/2004-i865G-6A79AG0CC-00
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8IG1000MK

Front Side Bus PropertiesBus
Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 200 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 800 MHz
Bandwidth 6400 MB/s

Memory Bus PropertiesBus
Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 200 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Chipset Bus PropertiesBus
Type Intel Hub Interface
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Motherboard Physical InfoCPU
Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
RAM Slots 4 DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Video, LAN
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 240 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset i865G
Extra Features EasyTune 4

Motherboard ManufacturerCompany
Name Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Product Informationhttp://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_NewProduct_List.htmBIOS Download http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_List.htm

From: xxx_ on
Also, my SATA hard drive is recognized as a IDE hard drive. Do I need to
install SATA drivers or adjust my settings?

Field Value

ATA Device PropertiesModel ID ST3250310AS
Serial Number 6RY0NLDC
Revision 3.AAA
Parameters 484519 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors per track, 512 bytes per
sector
LBA Sectors 488395055
Buffer 8 MB
Multiple Sectors 16
ECC Bytes 4

Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 6 (ATA-133)
Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Unformatted Capacity 238474 MB

ATA Device FeaturesSMART
Supported
Security Mode Supported
Power Management Supported
Advanced Power Management Not Supported
Write Cache Supported
Host Protected Area Supported
Power-Up In Standby Not Supported
Automatic Acoustic Management Not Supported
48-bit LBA Supported
Device Configuration Overlay Supported

ATA Device ManufacturerCompany Name Seagate Technology LLC
Product Information http://www.seagate.com/products

From: xxx_ on
I actually have 2 x 512MB of Kingston PC3200, not one.

From: Paul on
xxx_ wrote:
> I am on a PC with Pentium 4 3GHz with HT technology, 512MB of Kingston
> PC3200 (400MHz). When I look at the Front Side Bus (FSB), Memory bus
> properties and the chipset bus properties, I notice that they are not
> operating at its effective clock. May I know how to get them running at
> its effective clock?
>
> Field Value
> Motherboard PropertiesMotherboard ID 09/08/2004-i865G-6A79AG0CC-00
> Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8IG1000MK
>
> Front Side Bus PropertiesBus Type Intel NetBurst
> Bus Width 64-bit
> Real Clock 200 MHz (QDR)
> Effective Clock 800 MHz
> Bandwidth 6400 MB/s
>
> Memory Bus PropertiesBus Type DDR SDRAM
> Bus Width 64-bit
> Real Clock 200 MHz (DDR)
> Effective Clock 400 MHz
> Bandwidth 3200 MB/s
>
> Chipset Bus PropertiesBus Type Intel Hub Interface
> Bus Width 8-bit
> Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
> Effective Clock 267 MHz
> Bandwidth 267 MB/s
>
> Motherboard Physical InfoCPU Sockets/Slots 1
> Expansion Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
> RAM Slots 4 DIMM
> Integrated Devices Audio, Video, LAN
> Form Factor Micro ATX
> Motherboard Size 240 mm x 240 mm
> Motherboard Chipset i865G
> Extra Features EasyTune 4
>
> Motherboard ManufacturerCompany Name Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
> Product
> Informationhttp://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_NewProduct_List.htmBIOS
> Download http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_List.htm

Input clock to processor is 200MHz. The front side bus of the processor, takes
four data samples per clock cycle, which is called QDR or Quad Pumped. A popular
term for this is FSB800, and is correct for an 865 chipset and processor. The only
way to make it go higher is by overclocking. Everything here looks correct.

The memory input clock is 200MHz. The memory controller samples data twice per
clock cycle, which is why the memory is called DDR. That gives DDR400 rate.
A DIMM is 8 bytes wide, and 400 * 8 = 3200MB/sec, and is why the memory is PC3200.

When two memory sticks are operating in dual channel, you get 3200 * 2 = 6400MB/sec.
The processor front side bus (FSB800) is also 8 bytes wide. 800 * 8 = 6400MB/sec
The system is balanced, and everything is in order.

Paul

From: Paul on
xxx_ wrote:
> Also, my SATA hard drive is recognized as a IDE hard drive. Do I need to
> install SATA drivers or adjust my settings?
>
> Field Value
>
> ATA Device PropertiesModel ID ST3250310AS
> Serial Number 6RY0NLDC
> Revision 3.AAA
> Parameters 484519 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors per track, 512
> bytes per sector
> LBA Sectors 488395055
> Buffer 8 MB
> Multiple Sectors 16
> ECC Bytes 4
>
> Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
> Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 6 (ATA-133)
> Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
> Unformatted Capacity 238474 MB
>
> ATA Device FeaturesSMART Supported
> Security Mode Supported
> Power Management Supported
> Advanced Power Management Not Supported
> Write Cache Supported
> Host Protected Area Supported
> Power-Up In Standby Not Supported
> Automatic Acoustic Management Not Supported
> 48-bit LBA Supported
> Device Configuration Overlay Supported
>
> ATA Device ManufacturerCompany Name Seagate
> Technology LLC
> Product Information http://www.seagate.com/products

http://seagate.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/seagate.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1963

"SATA Controller Listed as Using UDMA Mode 5 or 6 During POST

Answer
The SATA-150 controller uses a different specification and does not use the
earlier Ultra DMA criteria. When a SATA drive is connected to a SATA port
on the card, the controller will POST and list the SATA drive as using UDMA
mode 5 or 6, but that is *cosmetic* and may be ignored. Use a benchmark
performance test to confirm that the attached SATA drives are running faster
than PATA drive specifications.

If using a PATA drive on a Maxtor or other mfr. combo SATA/PATA card, the UDMA
mode listed will accurately list which UDMA mode is being used."

If you test with a benchmark utility, the info you want, is the "burst transfer rate".
That measured parameter, tells you what mode the cable is in. This tool can measure
burst and sustained rates, but you want the burst info, to prove it is running at
full SATA rate. The 865 uses the original SATA spec, so the best you could
achieve on a burst would be 150MB/sec. (I still don't have any SATA drives here,
so cannot test my system to give you a typical number to expect.)

http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach

As an example, there is a picture here of a HDTach test run with a SATA 150MB/sec
drive. The achieved burst speed is 116.2MB/sec, so there is some overhead. The
116MB/sec number is faster than UDMA5.

http://images.planetamd64.com/pyr0/DFI_SLI-D/Tests/HDTach/SATA1%20HDTach.jpg

This is an example of a SATA 300MB/sec drive, tested on a more modern chipset.
In this case, they got 221.5MB/sec, so again, due to overhead, you don't tend to
see the whole 300MB/sec theoretical limit. This transfer is now well above UDMA6.
Your chipset doesn't have a 300MB/sec SATA interface, so you wouldn't expect to
see this burst transfer rate.

http://images.planetamd64.com/pyr0/DFI_SLI-D/Tests/HDTach/SATA2%20HDTach.jpg

On IDE (ribbon cable drives), your Southbridge does have a known limitation.
On an Intel IDE, the read speed maximum is 100MB/sec on the ribbon cable,
and on write transfers, it is 88.9MB/sec max. Intel doesn't support UDMA6,
and due to how the write strobe is generated by the chip, is restricted to
less than full UDMA5 on write.

Paul