From: Dave on
I have an WD800LB-00DNA0, that is a 80 Gb HD, that now reports in various
programs including some of WD Lifeguard (11), that it is only about 33 Gb, a
bit under 50 Gb short.
Now when I manually set the Bios to 38309 cys, 16, 255, then it reports in
the Bios as 80 Gb, which is Ok. If I leave the Bios in auto mode then the
report is only 33 Gb. So far so good. Now in Lifeguard, etc, I format, set
partitions etc, all is OK.
But then boot thru to XP and the partitions disappear, one partition only of
33 Gb, in RAW mode, is left. This single partition cannot be formatted by
XP.

Now at the WD site, if and when you can decipher their extensive list of
fixits, then one in particular will run (data Lifeguard 11)and when you hit
the resize (etc), it reports only the 33 Gb (FAT 16), It does not as
advertised allow you to check the LBA count. Refer Answer ID 1157. I cannot
even locate this exact harddrive which is a WD800LB, that is L for lorry, B
for Bob, nor can I find the exact warranty.

Details are: WD800LB-00DNA0 Rev 77.07W37 S/n WD-WCADW1607301
Cys 38309, 16, 255 LBA 156301488 80Gb.
This Hdd has been run on 2 XP machines (very recent BIOS), run under various
DOS/DRDOS/Caldera, etc. Various configurations/jumpers used.
Much thought, lots of no answers.
I have of course emailed WD, with no response. In this country, Australia,
there are no WD people, a number of service agents that will for about
$35-00 forward your problem off to Singapore. At this figure, well buy a new
Seagate aye?

I would very much appreciate some help here,
Dave

From: JS on
Have you tried deleting all the partitions using Windows 'Disk Management'
tool, then create a single partition and format NTFS?
Note: Windows XP 'Disk Manager' will only create FAT32 partitions no larger
than 32GB.

JS

From: Paul on
Dave wrote:
> I have an WD800LB-00DNA0, that is a 80 Gb HD, that now reports in various
> programs including some of WD Lifeguard (11), that it is only about 33 Gb, a
> bit under 50 Gb short.
> Now when I manually set the Bios to 38309 cys, 16, 255, then it reports in
> the Bios as 80 Gb, which is Ok. If I leave the Bios in auto mode then the
> report is only 33 Gb. So far so good. Now in Lifeguard, etc, I format, set
> partitions etc, all is OK.
> But then boot thru to XP and the partitions disappear, one partition only of
> 33 Gb, in RAW mode, is left. This single partition cannot be formatted by
> XP.
>
> Now at the WD site, if and when you can decipher their extensive list of
> fixits, then one in particular will run (data Lifeguard 11)and when you hit
> the resize (etc), it reports only the 33 Gb (FAT 16), It does not as
> advertised allow you to check the LBA count. Refer Answer ID 1157. I cannot
> even locate this exact harddrive which is a WD800LB, that is L for lorry, B
> for Bob, nor can I find the exact warranty.
>
> Details are: WD800LB-00DNA0 Rev 77.07W37 S/n WD-WCADW1607301
> Cys 38309, 16, 255 LBA 156301488 80Gb.
> This Hdd has been run on 2 XP machines (very recent BIOS), run under various
> DOS/DRDOS/Caldera, etc. Various configurations/jumpers used.
> Much thought, lots of no answers.
> I have of course emailed WD, with no response. In this country, Australia,
> there are no WD people, a number of service agents that will for about
> $35-00 forward your problem off to Singapore. At this figure, well buy a new
> Seagate aye?
>
> I would very much appreciate some help here,
> Dave

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=538

"Question

I have an EIDE drive larger than 32GB. Why is it recognized as a 32GB drive?

Cause:

Using the alternate jumper settings (two jumpers) on drives that are larger
than 32GB may cause this. When jumpered this way, the system BIOS and Windows
will detect the drive at the smaller size. If you are using EZ-BIOS to support
the drive, only the BIOS will report 32GB. Windows will see the correct capacity."

On other products, that is called a "clip jumper". You have positions on the
jumper block for master and slave. But one of the jumper positions is for
"clip", and causes the reported size to be 32GB. Usually, this means the
user put the jumper on the wrong pair of pins. Mirror imaging the pin
block can do that (counting from the wrong end of the pin block).

Paul
From: Gerry on
Dave

How is the hard disk supposed to be formatted?

Try running HD Tune(freeware).

Download and run it and see what it turns up.
http://www.hdtune.com/

Select the Info tabs and place the cursor on the drive under Drive
letter and then double click the two page icon ( copy to Clipboard )
and copy into a further message.

Select the Health tab and then double click the two page icon ( copy to
Clipboard ) and copy into a further message.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Lil' Dave on
"Dave" <dtmail(a)iinet.net.au> wrote in message
>I have an WD800LB-00DNA0, that is a 80 Gb HD, that now reports in various
>programs including some of WD Lifeguard (11), that it is only about 33 Gb,
>a bit under 50 Gb short.
> Now when I manually set the Bios to 38309 cys, 16, 255, then it reports in
> the Bios as 80 Gb, which is Ok. If I leave the Bios in auto mode then the
> report is only 33 Gb. So far so good. Now in Lifeguard, etc, I format, set
> partitions etc, all is OK.
> But then boot thru to XP and the partitions disappear, one partition only
> of 33 Gb, in RAW mode, is left. This single partition cannot be formatted
> by XP.
>
> Now at the WD site, if and when you can decipher their extensive list of
> fixits, then one in particular will run (data Lifeguard 11)and when you
> hit the resize (etc), it reports only the 33 Gb (FAT 16), It does not as
> advertised allow you to check the LBA count. Refer Answer ID 1157. I
> cannot even locate this exact harddrive which is a WD800LB, that is L for
> lorry, B for Bob, nor can I find the exact warranty.
>
> Details are: WD800LB-00DNA0 Rev 77.07W37 S/n WD-WCADW1607301
> Cys 38309, 16, 255 LBA 156301488 80Gb.
> This Hdd has been run on 2 XP machines (very recent BIOS), run under
> various DOS/DRDOS/Caldera, etc. Various configurations/jumpers used.
> Much thought, lots of no answers.
> I have of course emailed WD, with no response. In this country, Australia,
> there are no WD people, a number of service agents that will for about
> $35-00 forward your problem off to Singapore. At this figure, well buy a
> new Seagate aye?
>
> I would very much appreciate some help here,
> Dave

FAT16 limit is 2GB for a partition. Sumpin's totally not right. And,
terribly non-standard.
Dave