From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per clk:
> These computers
>came with Access 2007. Now whenever an Access 2007 user opens the
>database, it locks the database for all other users.

My fallback workaround would be to put Access 2003 on those
machines and give the users an icon to click to open the DB -
said icon specifically starting Access2003.

2003 and 2007 can co-exist. Just don't make the mistake of
installing 2003 over top of 2007 - it makes a mess.

Instead, totally un-install Office 2007. Then install the MS
Access part of Office 2003, then re-install Office 2007.
--
PeteCresswell
From: Tony Toews on
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 07:28:28 -0700 (PDT), clk <c.kurutz(a)comcast.net>
wrote:

>I have a mde database file developed for a client. This was
>originally set up and run in Access 2003. Everything worked fine.
>Recently this client purchased several new computers. These computers
>came with Access 2007. Now whenever an Access 2007 user opens the
>database, it locks the database for all other users. I have checked
>all the Access settings I know to check. These new machines are also
>running Windows 7. I am not sure if this is enough information or if
>anyone has seen this behavior and may have some suggestions.

This is probably a permissions problem on the directory in which the
backend is installed. The users must have create/delete privileges
to that directory. What is happening is that Access can't create the
..ldb file which allows multiple users to update the MDB. So Access
only allows one user at a time.

One simple way of testing this is to ensure the users can create and
delete a file in the network share. Any file, even using notepad, is
enough to test this. I simply don't trust all those permissions screen
within the OS. You never quite know whats lurking behind the advanced
button. So test this yourself.

Sometimes it could only be one user who does not have create
privileges to cause problems who just happens to be the first user
into the MDB at that moment in time. Then all the other Access users
can't access the file because the first user is in exclusively.

"I found that I could keep the permissions set to Change, but had to
ensure that the directory in which the db resides was set to not
inherit permissions from it's parent. It seemed that every time a new
user logged onto a given machine, it got messed up."

See ACC: Determining Which User Has Opened Database Exclusively
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=169648
Essentially you must use tools on the server to determine who has
locked the file.

Also see ACC: Introduction to .ldb Files (95/97)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=136128. This basic information
hasn't changed for versions up to and including A2007.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Douglas J. Steele on
"(PeteCresswell)" <x(a)y.Invalid> wrote in message
> Per clk:
>> These computers
>>came with Access 2007. Now whenever an Access 2007 user opens the
>>database, it locks the database for all other users.
>
> My fallback workaround would be to put Access 2003 on those
> machines and give the users an icon to click to open the DB -
> said icon specifically starting Access2003.
>
> 2003 and 2007 can co-exist. Just don't make the mistake of
> installing 2003 over top of 2007 - it makes a mess.

Of course, there's an appreciable length of time required to switch between
Access 2003 (or earlier) and Access 2007 (or later).

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele

From: clk on
On Jul 7, 7:59 am, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele(a)NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote:
> "(PeteCresswell)" <x...(a)y.Invalid> wrote in message

> > Per clk:
> >> These computers
> >>came with Access 2007.  Now whenever an Access 2007 user opens the
> >>database, it locks the database for all other users.
>
> > My fallback workaround would be to put Access 2003 on those
> > machines and give the users an icon to click to open the DB -
> > said icon specifically starting Access2003.
>
> > 2003 and 2007 can co-exist.    Just don't make the mistake of
> > installing 2003 over top of 2007 - it makes a mess.
>
> Of course, there's an appreciable length of time required to switch between
> Access 2003 (or earlier) and Access 2007 (or later).
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele
> Co-author: Access 2010 Solutions, published by Wiley
> (no e-mails, please!)

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will be at this location
the last week of July and will try all of these things to see if
anything works. I will post back my findings.

Thanks again.