From: Tom van Stiphout on
On Wed, 5 May 2010 08:34:03 -0400, "Mark Andrews"
<mandrews___NOSPAM___(a)rptsoftware.com> wrote:

4000 rows * 4 bytes = 16K so the bloat will be manageable. But if you
are very concerned about that, you can keep this table in an external
database, and even compact that db occasionally. Indeed it's not very
fast, but better than a crash.
Yes, I have thought about grabbing the actual filter clause as well,
but in the general case this is hard to do, since Access uses
temporary objects to assist with this: the ~sq_XXX queries you
sometimes see in a database that has crashed.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

From: Mark Andrews on
I was thinking more along the lines of grabbing the Filter text from the
datasheet and massaging it with code to work with this new filter
query that is being built. Also the current process works fine for the
user, crash is only if I try and view the query in design view. The query
runs fine. 4000 rows done 10 times a day every day could add up. I hate
resorting to temp tables!

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you mention the temp objects?
I thought the filter property on the form would always indicate how the
datasheet is being filtered, only comboboxes cause complexity.
So in theory vba code could be used to transform a filter on a datasheet
into a where clause on a query if you deal with the combobox complexity
right? Perhaps a mapping table used to replace text.

Example:
qryContactList is used for datasheet
- filter on Lastname = "Smith"
and
- filter on CompanyName = "ACME Corp"
Filter is:
qryContactList.Lastname = "Smith" AND qryContactList.CompanyName = "ACME
CORP"

New qryFilter uses tblContact joined with tblCompany by CompanyID
Select tblContact.ContactID FROM tblContact Left Joined with tblCompany ....
WHERE (tblContact.LastName = "Smith") AND (tblCompany.CompanyName = "ACME
CORP")

Instead of:
Select tblContact.ContactID FROM tblContact
WHERE tblContact.ContactID IN (3,7,12,45,56,78,98,.... 4000 in total)

See any flaws other than it's more work than building the IN clause by
looping through the records.

> On Wed, 5 May 2010 08:34:03 -0400, "Mark Andrews"
> <mandrews___NOSPAM___(a)rptsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> 4000 rows * 4 bytes = 16K so the bloat will be manageable. But if you
> are very concerned about that, you can keep this table in an external
> database, and even compact that db occasionally. Indeed it's not very
> fast, but better than a crash.
> Yes, I have thought about grabbing the actual filter clause as well,
> but in the general case this is hard to do, since Access uses
> temporary objects to assist with this: the ~sq_XXX queries you
> sometimes see in a database that has crashed.
>
> -Tom.
> Microsoft Access MVP
>

>>Tom,
>>
>>So temp table instead of temp query, add records to table instead of build
>>IN clause in query.
>>Interesting, I'm on the fence on whether I like that one better or not?
>>
>>Pros: end query probably runs faster
>>Cons: front-end database will grow, adding 4000 records to table might be
>>slower than building a query with a big WHERE clause.
>>
>>Concept is very similar.
>>
>>I guess I was thinking maybe there is a way to build the query using the
>>actual filter that is on the datasheet (and deal with the comboboxes in
>>some
>>way).
>>
>>The current process I have to build the query does work fine, only if I
>>try
>>to look at the query that was built do I get that error.
>>
>>Thanks for the feedback,
>>Mark
>>

>>"Tom van Stiphout" <tom7744.no.spam(a)cox.net> wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 4 May 2010 18:53:29 -0400, "Mark Andrews"
>>> <mandrews___NOSPAM___(a)rptsoftware.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes I have tackled this one.
>>> Btw, if you can repeat this crash in A2010, report it to MSFT,
>>> especially if you can repeat it with a sample db like Northwind -
>>> maybe they'll fix it. It's a bit embarrasing to have this internal
>>> error come up.
>>>
>>> I have an extra table IN THE FRONT-END with just one field: PKValue.
>>> Typically it's a long integer because most PKs are long int. I write a
>>> delete query to get rid of all the records. Then I add all records in
>>> the selection. Note that this also works great if someone uses
>>> QueryByForm and creates a really complicated selection. To add the
>>> records, write some VBA code like this (off the cuff, excuse typos):
>>> dim rs as dao.recordset
>>> dim rsPK as dao.recordset
>>> set rs=me.recordsetclone
>>> set rsPK = currentdb.openrecordset("tblPK", dbOpenTable)
>>> if rs.recordcount > 0 then
>>> rs.movefirst
>>> do while not rs.eof
>>> rsPK.addnew
>>> rsPK!PKValue = rs!myPKField
>>> rsPK.update
>>> rs.movenext

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Mark Andrews" <mandrews___NOSPAM___(a)rptsoftware.com> wrote:

>Yes I know SQL Server is great. However I need to use Access for this one.
>It's an app that gets installed on lots of users computers and they do not
>have sql server.

Please ignore Aaron Kempf's posting as Aaron's answer to just about every question is
SQL Server and ADPs. No matter how appropriate his response.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: a a r o n . k e m p f on
Access Data Projects don't require SQL to be installed on desktops..
just on a single server

with ADP, all your performance / stability problems go out the window

On May 5, 5:35 am, "Mark Andrews"