From: David W. Fenton on
"Bob Barrows" <reb01501(a)NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in

> elias wrote:
>> I've updated one of our a databases to run in Office 2010 x64
>> w/Win 7 x64.
>>
>> For some reason, I am getting a Path/Access Error 75 on this
>> statement:
>>
>> Open "c:\products.txt" For Output As #1
>>
>> I believe it's due to Access 2010 not having the DAO 3.6
>> Reference library installed. I clicked the DAO 3.6 Object
>> Library in references, and get "Error loading DLL". (location
>> seems to be: C: \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
>> Shared\DAO\dao360.dll". (Which is non existant).
>>
>> I tried to get smart, and run regsvr32 "C:\Program Files
>> (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\dao360.dll" which
>> registered successfully, but didn't seem to appear in the
>> references as an available option in MS-Access.
>
> DAO is a 32-bit executable and will not load in 64-bit mode.

Er, what?

It won't load if you're running 64-bit Access, but it will certainly
load for any 32-bit application running under 64-bit Windows.

> I believe
> you will need to run Access in 32-bit mode if you need to use DAO.

Uh, there are no "modes" -- you either install 64-bit Office or
32-bit Office. Microsoft recommends against using 64-bit Office
except for specific purposes (such as needing the extra available
memory with huge spreadsheet models).

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
contact via website only http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
From: David W. Fenton on
elias <elias.farah(a)scw.com.au> wrote in
:

> For some reason, I am getting a Path/Access Error 75 on this
> statement:
>
> Open "c:\products.txt" For Output As #1

First off, I know this is just an example, but the location of the
files really does make a difference because of UAC. Remember that
even if you're running as an administrative logon, by default all
processes are launched with a user-level security token. If you then
try to access resources that are read-only (or denied) to users,
you'll get some form of Access Denied error.

The root of the C: drive has been read-only for users since Windows
2000, and if you choose to store files in folders in the root of C:,
you have to change the permissions to permit read/write access for
users or you'll encounter problems running with UAC on.

You don't want to turn UAC off, as then you're exposed to the same
kinds of dangers as in WinXP and before when running as admin.
Minimizing UAC prompts doesn't accomplish anything at all, except to
allow certain things without prompts that would otherwise generate a
confirmation. But the problem here is that what you're doing does
*not* generate a UAC prompt, so fiddling with UAC levels isn't going
to change anything.

Running the Access appliation as admin should take care of it, but
is not really advisable, in my opinion.

The only place that user writable files should be stored is in the
user's profile. This has been true since Windows 2000, which
released more than 10 years ago.

Try OPEN statement with a file in the user's profile that is fully
readable/writable and my guess is that you won't have an error. Even
if that doesn't resolve this particular error, you would be
well-advised to start storing your files in locations that conform
to Windows security norms that have been in effect for a decade.

From: Bob Barrows on
David W. Fenton wrote:
> "Bob Barrows" <reb01501(a)NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in
>
>> elias wrote:
>>> I've updated one of our a databases to run in Office 2010 x64
>>> w/Win 7 x64.
>>>
>>> For some reason, I am getting a Path/Access Error 75 on this
>>> statement:
>>>
>>> Open "c:\products.txt" For Output As #1
>>>
>>> I believe it's due to Access 2010 not having the DAO 3.6
>>> Reference library installed. I clicked the DAO 3.6 Object
>>> Library in references, and get "Error loading DLL". (location
>>> seems to be: C: \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
>>> Shared\DAO\dao360.dll". (Which is non existant).
>>>
>>> I tried to get smart, and run regsvr32 "C:\Program Files
>>> (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\dao360.dll" which
>>> registered successfully, but didn't seem to appear in the
>>> references as an available option in MS-Access.
>>
>> DAO is a 32-bit executable and will not load in 64-bit mode.
>
> Er, what?
>
> It won't load if you're running 64-bit Access, but it will certainly
> load for any 32-bit application running under 64-bit Windows.
>
>> I believe
>> you will need to run Access in 32-bit mode if you need to use DAO.
>
> Uh, there are no "modes" -- you either install 64-bit Office or
> 32-bit Office. Microsoft recommends against using 64-bit Office
> except for specific purposes (such as needing the extra available
> memory with huge spreadsheet models).

Mea culpa.
I had read that it was possible to start IIS in 32-bit compatability mode
and came to the incorrect conclusion that it might be possible with Access
as well.

From: David W. Fenton on
"Bob Barrows" <reb01501(a)yahoo.com> wrote in

> I had read that it was possible to start IIS in 32-bit
> compatability mode and came to the incorrect conclusion that it
> might be possible with Access as well.

I know there's a separate link in 64-bit Windows 7 for 64-bit IE, so
my assumption is that the other link for IE is 32-bit. That is,
there are two differently-compiled versions of IE installed on
64-bit Windows 7, one that is the same as what runs on 32-bit
Windows (and in 64-bit Windows with the 32-bit compatibility layer),
and the 64-bit version. That MS does not make the 64-bit version the
default in 64-bit Win7 suggests to me that it's probably not
recommended.

From: Bob Barrows on
David W. Fenton wrote:
> "Bob Barrows" <reb01501(a)yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> I had read that it was possible to start IIS in 32-bit
>> compatability mode and came to the incorrect conclusion that it
>> might be possible with Access as well.
>
> I know there's a separate link in 64-bit Windows 7 for 64-bit IE, so
> my assumption is that the other link for IE is 32-bit. That is,
> there are two differently-compiled versions of IE installed on
> 64-bit Windows 7, one that is the same as what runs on 32-bit
> Windows (and in 64-bit Windows with the 32-bit compatibility layer),
> and the 64-bit version. That MS does not make the 64-bit version the
> default in 64-bit Win7 suggests to me that it's probably not
> recommended.

? I was talking about IIS, not IE. If one wishes to use Jet in asp
server-side code on a 64-bit server, then IIS must be started in 32-bit
mode.

Oe were you simply offering extra information?