From: PW on
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 07:25:00 -0700 (PDT), RonG <rgafron(a)sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>I've received one response so far, and that was from an inhouse
>developer, not an ISV. Still interesting insights, but I'd like to
>hear from some independent developers as well. There could be another
>group that's more appropriate for that kind of discussion. I'll take
>a look around to see what there might be.
>
>Right now, my company is just me. My wife could easily do this kind
>of work as well (we both worked in IT for a long time), but she's
>currently working as a teacher's aide for the insurance benefits,
>since the company can't afford it yet. I've tried to keep the
>software reasonably priced because I know that my customers (artists)
>don't have a lot of money, either. On the other hand, I have to make
>a living. I'm starting up a fairly large marketing campaign to try
>and grow my customer base, and that, like everything else, takes up a
>good deal of time.
>
>I'm surprised that you had such a bad experience getting your new
>software developed. I do my own development work now, but in a
>previous life, I dealt with contract developers quite a bit, and
>didn't really run into problems like that. Of course, I worked for a
>larger company with lawyers and such, so we weren't so vulnerable.
>The technology for putting an application on the web isn't *that*
>difficult once you choose a technology toolset to work with. Well, I
>guess it's not that difficult if you've done it :-). Have you
>considered building it yourself? The business and technology model for
>a web-based product is different, of course. I wasn't real clear on
>what your target customer is, but if it's the lodging industry, you'd
>have to be concerned about access to the web on a regular basis. I
>suspect most would have that, but more remote sites might need a
>desktop product instead.
>
>Anyway, I'd love to continue the discussion, but we're getting *way*
>off the topic here. If you'd like to chat further and share some
>ideas, drop me an email, ok? ron dot gafron at workingartist dot com
>(sorry, just trying to avoid the bots)

Will do Roh. Thanks

-paulw
From: PW on
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 09:11:22 -0700 (PDT), RonG <rgafron(a)sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>On Mar 27, 11:11�am, PW <emailaddyin...(a)ifIremember.com> wrote:
>
>If they did a Windows Update, it's possible that they updated some
>Office components, which could potentially have reset some keys in the
>Registry. I've had this happen with my users on occasion, and having
>them do a re-install usually fixes the problem (we're also using the
>Access97 runtime). You can Google the message text, and you will see
>that this is a documented problem. Unfortunately, most of the fixes
>you'll see won't help a user with the runtime version, if I remember
>correctly. It's part of the challenges of having multiple versions of
>Office products running on the same PC. My own solution is to update
>my app to Access2007, which isn't a walk in the park, either, at least
>as far a my app is concerned.
>
>Ron

They upgraded to Office 2007 Profesional, "tweaked a few things"
(whatever that means) and they can now run our application.

Thanks,

-paulw