From: Cam on

"joel" wrote:

> try running as a command with the slash c option
>
> cmd/c runas /user:campc.mydomain.com\cam2 "
> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft
> Office\Excel.exe"
>

> --
> joel
> joel's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?u=229
> View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=198134
>
> http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz
>
> .

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I got the same error.
From: Cam on

"Bob I" wrote:

> Perhaps clicking the Excel Icon in the Quick Launch bar would be easier
> way to start multiple instances?
>
> Cam wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I am trying to open multiple instances of Excel using the runas command from
> > the DOS prompt. I am following the DOS command line method because the
> > start->menu->..Excel and selecting 'Run As' method is not working.
> >
> > I get the following error when using the runas command:
> >
> > runas /user:campc.mydomain.com\cam2 "
> > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft
> > Office\Excel.exe"
> >
> > Enter the password for campc.mydomain.com\cam2:
> > Attempting to start C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
> > Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Excel.exe as user "campc.mydomain.com\cam2" ...
> >
> > RUNAS ERROR: Unable to run - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
> > Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Excel.exe
> > 5: Access is denied.
> >

> > The user cam2 is set up with admin privileges. How can I solve this access
> > error?
>
> .

Sorry, I should have explained more in my original post. I have two monitors
connected to my PC. I want a different instance of Excel to kick off so that
I can place one excel window on the left monitor and another excel window on
the right monitor. That would make comparison a lot easier. The method is
given in this link: http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/mmmagic.html

But when I try it, I get the access denied error.
From: Bob I on

Cam wrote:

> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>Perhaps clicking the Excel Icon in the Quick Launch bar would be easier
>>way to start multiple instances?
>>
>>Cam wrote:
>>

>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I am trying to open multiple instances of Excel using the runas command from
>>>the DOS prompt. I am following the DOS command line method because the
>>>start->menu->..Excel and selecting 'Run As' method is not working.
>>>
>>>I get the following error when using the runas command:
>>>
>>>runas /user:campc.mydomain.com\cam2 "
>>>C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft
>>>Office\Excel.exe"
>>>
>>>Enter the password for campc.mydomain.com\cam2:
>>>Attempting to start C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
>>>Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Excel.exe as user "campc.mydomain.com\cam2" ...
>>>
>>>RUNAS ERROR: Unable to run - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
>>>Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Excel.exe
>>>5: Access is denied.
>>>

>>>The user cam2 is set up with admin privileges. How can I solve this access
>>>error?
>>
>>.
>>

> Sorry, I should have explained more in my original post. I have two monitors
> connected to my PC. I want a different instance of Excel to kick off so that
> I can place one excel window on the left monitor and another excel window on
> the right monitor. That would make comparison a lot easier. The method is
> given in this link: http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/mmmagic.html
>
> But when I try it, I get the access denied error.

So why not put a Excel shortcut in the Quick Launch bar and click that
twice? Two instances will kick off.