From: mike on
Looking for a freeware compiler/interpreter that will let me
access the serial port on a PPC.
I don't want to send serial data, I want to access the port
and detect switch closures on the serial handshake lines,
and control the handshake lines directly from the program.

There are Palm interpreters that let me read the handshake
lines, but I haven't been able to find anything for the PPC.
I have a range of devices from PPC2000 to wm5.

Has to be freeware or shareware that doesn't expire.

Thanks, mike
From: Beverly Howard on
Before you get in too deep, make sure the devices you are planning to
target and use actually have serial ports as they have essentially
disappeared from windows mobile in the last few years.

Beverly Howard
From: mike on
Beverly Howard wrote:

> Before you get in too deep, make sure the devices you are planning to
> target and use actually have serial ports as they have essentially
> disappeared from windows mobile in the last few years.
>
> Beverly Howard
yep...
Good news is that I ain't got anything made in the last few years.
I have serial cradles for the Axim X5. That seems to be the sweet spot
for horsepower, ruggedness and CHEAP!! I've used it to talk to a gps.
Aristar Dialect is a very nice language with serial I/O functions, but
it won't let me access the
serial handshake lines directly.
Basic4PPC has similar capability, but it ain't free.

The Axim X51v has a serial port, but I've never found a cable for it
or any reports that the handshake lines are supported. Never had the
energy to build a cable and experiment. If anybody has the facts,
I'd like to hear 'em. The tiny connectors in recent pda's are extremely
fragile. Can't see trying to use a cabled connection anyway.

For ordinary serial data, a bluetooth to serial converter makes a
very useful interface to the X51v. Solves the fragile connector
problem nicely.
From: Beverly Howard on
>> For ordinary serial data, a bluetooth to serial converter makes a
very useful interface to the X51v. Solves the fragile connector
problem nicely. <<

yes, but it depends on how the program handles the serial port... I had
to finally admit defeat on a commercial program that insisted on closing
the serial port after every access... meant that the BT protocol had to
re-establish the connection on every data event and the program then
assumed, based on it's timeout that the serial port was unresponsive.

In your case, assume you will have control over that.

Beverly Howard