From: cjw on
This isn't about Python but I'm seeking suggestions as to the best way
to access the newsgroup.

It seems that messages are coming from a number of sources, such as
gmane and google groups.

The problem is that many messages seem to get unlinked from their threads.

I use Thunderbird 3.0.5 and wonder whether the problem lies with the
merge process, the server or my reader.

Would it be better to go to gmane, google groups or some such provider.

In the past, use of Ctrl K had neatly disposed of thread that are of no
interest.

I would welcome advice.

Colin W.
From: Terry Reedy on
On 5/15/2010 6:34 PM, cjw wrote:
> This isn't about Python but I'm seeking suggestions as to the best way
> to access the newsgroup.
>
> It seems that messages are coming from a number of sources, such as
> gmane and google groups.
>
> The problem is that many messages seem to get unlinked from their threads.

Some people have said that that is due to newreaders not tagging

> I use Thunderbird 3.0.5 and wonder whether the problem lies with the
> merge process, the server or my reader.
>
> Would it be better to go to gmane, google groups or some such provider.

I believe some spam (like from Google accounts) is filtered out between
c.l.p and python-list. Gmane mirrors python-list, not c.l.p., so it gets
the benefit of the filtering. You can see from the headers that that is
where I post from.

tjr

From: Aahz on
In article <mailman.245.1273986020.32709.python-list(a)python.org>,
Terry Reedy <tjreedy(a)udel.edu> wrote:
>On 5/15/2010 6:34 PM, cjw wrote:
>>
>> The problem is that many messages seem to get unlinked from their threads.
>
>Some people have said that that is due to newreaders not tagging

It's also at least partly due to problems with mail<->news gateways and
the differing fields used to maintain threading.
--
Aahz (aahz(a)pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n nx prgrmmng.
From: James Mills on
On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Aahz <aahz(a)pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> It's also at least partly due to problems with mail<->news gateways and
> the differing fields used to maintain threading.

Some blame goes on MUAs too :)
From: cjw on
On 16-May-10 01:31 AM, James Mills wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Aahz<aahz(a)pythoncraft.com> wrote:
>> It's also at least partly due to problems with mail<->news gateways and
>> the differing fields used to maintain threading.
>
> Some blame goes on MUAs too :)

Thanks for the responses.

Is it possible to connect a newsreader to gmane? Or is web access required?

Is Thunderbird known to have problems?

Colin W