From: Arvi Laanemets on
Hi

On a form I have 2 controls, txtHours & txtMinutes. Whenever there is
entered 60 or more minutes into txtMinutes, I want full hours added to
txtHours (or txtHours value replaced, I haven't decided yet), and set
reminder as new value for txtMinutes. Something like:

Private Sub txtMinutes_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
If Me.txtMinutes < 60 Then
Else
Me.txtHoues = Me.txtHoues + Int(Me.txtMinutes / 60)
Me.txtMinutes = Me.txtMinutes Mod 60
End If
End Sub

Current code returns an error "The macro or function set to the BeforeUpdate
or ValidationRule property for this field is preventing Microsoft Access
from saving the data in the field." How must this be done?

Thanks in advance!
Arvi Laanemets

From: Dirk Goldgar on
"Arvi Laanemets" <garbage(a)hot.ee> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> On a form I have 2 controls, txtHours & txtMinutes. Whenever there is
> entered 60 or more minutes into txtMinutes, I want full hours added to
> txtHours (or txtHours value replaced, I haven't decided yet), and set
> reminder as new value for txtMinutes. Something like:
>
> Private Sub txtMinutes_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
> If Me.txtMinutes < 60 Then
> Else
> Me.txtHoues = Me.txtHoues + Int(Me.txtMinutes / 60)
> Me.txtMinutes = Me.txtMinutes Mod 60
> End If
> End Sub
>

> Current code returns an error "The macro or function set to the
> BeforeUpdate or ValidationRule property for this field is preventing
> Microsoft Access from saving the data in the field." How must this be
> done?

You can't change the value of a control in its own BeforeUpdate event. You
must use the control's AfterUpdate event instead.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

From: Arvi Laanemets on
Thanks!

"Dirk Goldgar" <dg(a)NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> wrote in message

> You can't change the value of a control in its own BeforeUpdate event.
> You must use the control's AfterUpdate event instead.

This was a surprise for me. It looked logical that all changes must be done
before updating.

Arvi Laanemets

Pages: 1
Prev: new messenger