From: shoosh on
In VB.NET, I create a File menu. One of the File Menu items is "Recent
Projects". Using the following Code, I can add sub-menu items to drop down
below "Recent Projects."

mnuRecentProjects.DropDownItems.Add("Test Item 4")
mnuRecentProjects.DropDownItems.Add("Test Item 5")
mnuRecentProjects.DropDownItems.Add("Test Item 6")

So now at run time I have 3 sub-menu items off my "Recent Projects" menu item.

Question: What event is raised when I click on one of these, say "Test Item
#4" and how do I access it?

In VB6 it was simple, in vb.net I can't seem to find how to access the
underlying code for a sub-menu click event.

From: Phill W. on
On 08/04/2010 03:04, shoosh wrote:
> In VB.NET, I create a File menu. One of the File Menu items is "Recent
> Projects". Using the following Code, I can add sub-menu items to drop down
> below "Recent Projects."
>
> mnuRecentProjects.DropDownItems.Add("Test Item 4")
> mnuRecentProjects.DropDownItems.Add("Test Item 5")
> mnuRecentProjects.DropDownItems.Add("Test Item 6")
>
> So now at run time I have 3 sub-menu items off my "Recent Projects" menu item.
>
> Question: What event is raised when I click on one of these, say "Test Item
> #4" and how do I access it?

It will be a Click event of some sort, depending on the Type of menu
control you use (MenuItem or ToolStripMenuItem).

If you're creating the menu items manually, use the AddHandler statement
to associate a handling routine with that event, something like:

Private Sub Form_Load() _
Handles MyBase.Load

Dim mi as New MenuItem( "Test Item 3" )
AddHandler mi, AddressOf MenuItem_Click
mnuRecentProjects.DropDownItems.Add( mi )

' IIRC, the ToolStripMenuItem has a constructor to do the
' whole lot in one go.
Dim tmi as New ToolStripMenuItem( "Test Item 4" _
, Nothing _
, AddressOf MenuItem_Click )
mnuRecentProjects.DropDownItems.Add( tmi )

End Sub

.... then ...

Private Sub MenuItem_Click( _
ByVal sender as Object _
, ByVal e as EventArgs _
)
If Not ( typeof sender is MenuItem ) Then
Return
End If

Dim mi as MenuItem = DirectCast( sender, MenuItem )

' mi now contains a reference to the item clicked

End Sub

From: shoosh on
Phil, I can add the sub-menu item, but still can't seem to reach the click
event. I've added the following code to a command button:

Dim mi As New MenuItem("Test Item 3")
AddHandler mi.Click, AddressOf MenuItem_Click
mnuRecentProjects.DropDownItems.Add(mi.Text)

Then added the following to the form module.

Sub MenuItem_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)

MsgBox("Reached Click Event.")

End Sub

Clicking on the sub-menu item "Test Item 3" doesn't reach the MenuItem_Click
sub. Any ideas?

From: shoosh on

I think the missing element in my code is that "mi" refers to an object, but
the add method simply adds a sub-menu item with the text "Test Item 3".

mnuRecentProjects.DropDownItems.Add(mi) generates an error, as the add
method doesn't expect an object here.

mnuRecentProjects.DropDownItems.Add(mi.Text) works to add the sub-menu item,
but this menu item does not equate to the "mi" object.

How do I assign the "mi" object to the sub-menu item created with the
preceding add method?

From: Armin Zingler on
Am 09.04.2010 03:59, schrieb shoosh:

> I think the missing element in my code is that "mi" refers to an object, but
> the add method simply adds a sub-menu item with the text "Test Item 3".
>
> mnuRecentProjects.DropDownItems.Add(mi) generates an error, as the add
> method doesn't expect an object here.

mi.text is a String which is also an Object. Everything is an object.
However, the problem is that you use a MenuItem instead of a ToolStripMenuItem.
The MenuItem is used with the old menus. You are using the newer MenuStrips.

> mnuRecentProjects.DropDownItems.Add(mi.Text) works to add the sub-menu item,
> but this menu item does not equate to the "mi" object.
>
> How do I assign the "mi" object to the sub-menu item created with the
> preceding add method?

Dim mi As New ToolStripMenuItem("Test Item 3")
AddHandler mi.Click, AddressOf MenuItem_Click
mnuRecentProjects.DropDownItems.Add(mi)

- or -

Dim mi As ToolStripItem
mi = ItemsToolStripMenuItem.DropDownItems.Add("Test Item 3")
AddHandler mi.Click, AddressOf MenuItem_Click

- or -

mnuRecentProjects.DropDownItems.Add("Test Item 3", Nothing, AddressOf MenuItem_Click)

or, or,...

--
Armin
 |  Next  |  Last