From: Russell Dawson on
This is not an Excel question but I know there are experts here who I know
will provide an answer.

There is an estate of a deceased person to distribute.

Net value is £112k which includes the value of a car (£2500)

Two persons are the beneficiaries.

Person A - has sold the car for £2500 and has had £3000 as an interim payment

There is £106500 in the bank to distribute.

How much does A and B get in cash so that each has had an equal share of the
total estate?

It should be simple but whatever I do it just doesn't match the figures I've
been given. I'm sure that the adjustment for the car is the problem but the
longer I look at it now the more confused I'm getting.

--
Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.
From: Russell Dawson on
Done it.

The solicitor was deducting the value of the car and then adding in half
it's value before apportionment rather than apportionment after adding the
car value.

From: Gord Dibben on
Divide 112000 by two.

Person B gets half or 56000

Person A gets 56k less the 5500 or 50500

56000 + 50500 = 106500

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

From: Russell Dawson on
Thanks Gord,

As you have seen I did get it eventually. It good to have the figures
confirmed though.

Regards