From: Antti on
as Xilinx has dropped hard processor IP in the latest families it
makes ACTEL the only FPGA vendor whos latest product family does have
hard processor IP.

Smart fusion includes Cortex-M3, and yes its available now, I did have
the kits in my hand at embedded

Antti
From: -jg on
On Mar 5, 7:56 am, Antti <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> as Xilinx has dropped hard processor IP in the latest families it
> makes ACTEL the only FPGA vendor whos latest product family does have
> hard processor IP.
>
> Smart fusion includes Cortex-M3, and yes its available now, I did have
> the kits in my hand at embedded
>
> Antti

Did they mention a price for the A2F060 ?

The A2F200 hits that old 'all things to all users' conundrum : Price!
(and package..)

eg you can buy the 'right sized' uC for these sort of prices, and add
the 'right sized' ProASIC from another selection list ?

[STM32 Value Line
$0.85 : 10K : 16Kbyte 48-pin LQFP48
$1.44 : 10K : 64Kbyte 64-pin LQFP64
]

Cypress has the PSoC3 in open samples, and supposedly the PSoC5 in
more stealth samples ?

-jg

From: Andy Peters on
On Mar 4, 11:56 am, Antti <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> as Xilinx has dropped hard processor IP in the latest families it
> makes ACTEL the only FPGA vendor whos latest product family does have
> hard processor IP.

Putting a processor inside an FPGA has proven to us to be a bigger
PITA than it's worth.

Consider than instead of V4FX, you can use an S3AN and a standalone
PPC and you'll pay a whole lot less. Plus the various Freescale PPCs
have DDR memory and Ethernet and DMA controllers that don't suck, and
you're not stuck with crappy tools.

Embedding the processor in the FPGA is an interesting idea, but as
long as Brand X seems to think that the only people who do are the
types who want to run Linux on an FPGA, it's gonna suck for actual
embedded use.

-a
From: -jg on
On Mar 5, 9:14 am, Andy Peters <goo...(a)latke.net> wrote:
> Putting a processor inside an FPGA has proven to us to be a bigger PITA than it's worth.
> Consider than instead of V4FX, you can use an S3AN and a standalone
> PPC and you'll pay a whole lot less. Plus the various Freescale PPCs
> have DDR memory and Ethernet and DMA controllers that don't suck, and
> you're not stuck with crappy tools.

Yes, you should always 'reality check' the alternatives.
It can make sense if the resource really is 'free', but SRAM FPGA's
still need external code memory, and when you look at those newest uC
prices, they are LESS than SRAM!!

We could use the A2F060, if the price and package are right. - but we
consider it more a uC + CPLD, than
a FPGA.

-jg
From: Antti on
On Mar 4, 11:08 pm, -jg <jim.granvi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 5, 9:14 am, Andy Peters <goo...(a)latke.net> wrote:
>
> > Putting a processor inside an FPGA has proven to us to be a bigger PITA than it's worth.
> > Consider than instead of V4FX, you can use an S3AN and a standalone
> > PPC and you'll pay a whole lot less. Plus the various Freescale PPCs
> > have DDR memory and Ethernet and DMA controllers that don't suck, and
> > you're not stuck with crappy tools.
>
> Yes, you should always 'reality check' the alternatives.
> It can make sense if the resource really is 'free', but SRAM FPGA's
> still need external code memory, and when you look at those newest uC
> prices, they are LESS than SRAM!!
>
> We could use the A2F060, if the price and package are right. - but we
> consider it more a uC + CPLD, than
> a FPGA.
>
> -jg

dont judge on the mouser pricing yet, the price issue will be key
issue
that is recognized by Actel also, specially A2F060 must come to low
price to make it an option to choose at all, at the mouser prices for
A2F200
i guess it would be very little applications where on would pay that
price

Antti