From: Erik Cheizoo on
By default, the LSASS process will use all memory available for caching the
AD database.
You will see LSASS memory consumtion go up when queries are performed (e.g.
Exchange, outlook)

--
Kind regards,

Erik Cheizoo - eXcellence & Difference - We keep your business
running
Always test in a non-production enviroment before implementing!
Guidelines when posting to a forum http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555375

From: Herb Martin on

"inthedark" <nyoung(a)vipintersoft.com> wrote in message
> Further. I disabled DNS Zone transfers (as there is only onse server).
>
> Becuase of the [ERROR_OUTOFMEMORY] message I looked at Task Manager and
> found that:
>
> After reboot Available memory was 300K out of 512K
>
> In error condition available memory was 180K (so who ate the 120K)

What is your Service pack/Hotfix status for this Win2000 Server?

[Disabling DNS zone transfers is irrelevant if you only
have one DNS server for the zone; or if you only have
AD Integrated DNS servers for the zone (or on any
DNS server with no slave secondaries.)]

You might wish to check updates, and then consider doing a
"repair install" since this usually fixes any damaged DLLs, services,
etc.

One disadvantage of doing the repair install is that if the problem
disappears (which it very may well do) then you won't know the
'source' of the problem.

Repair install is done from original CD, regular install to SAME
directory location and ENSURE that you both see and accept
the prompt for REPAIRING the current installation.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE MVP
www.LearnQuick.Com

From: inthedark on
I have run Windows Update, that is when the problem started.

I think I will pay MS for solution as the customer is becoming a little
disappointed.

From: Herb Martin on

> I have run Windows Update, that is when the problem started.
>
> I think I will pay MS for solution as the customer is becoming a little
> disappointed.

Ok, but the REPAIR install will usually fix things screwed up by
Windows update (even if you then re-install every hotfix it 'fixed'.)

My guess has always been that applying the latest fixes and skipping
over incremental ones somehow avoids bugs the developers missed
in testing -- this was much more true (needing to avoid those bugs)
in Win2000 also which makes the REPAIR install more likely.

BTW, usually most problems can be better answered here in the
forums than they can by paid support -- I say this even though I
believe Microsoft paid support is actually excellent.

Most of the time a problem that can be more quickly resolved by
phone support than by the newsgroups (which do have question-
response lag time) could have been solved by searching yourself
using Google against TechNet, the Internet, or by using the built-in
help.

If someone told me: You can have a free Premier Support ID
(I have had my own personal ones in the past) BUT you will
never again have access to the MS Newsgroups then I would
turn it down even though the newsgroups are free and support
costs real money.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE MVP
www.LearnQuick.Com