From: inthedark on
A simple site running 1 AD server Windows 2000 and a few clients. Has
been running for years fine fore years but the company were picking up
lots of spam on their server. On the same day I did the following:

1) Run Windows Update
2) Installed FTGate mail server
3) Create a public lookup zone so that the server could become a
primary dns for a domain.
(This was need for just a few days until the new ISP could handle the
DNS.)

After a few hours, sometimes days the AD stops running. After reboot it
all works fine again. I have tried everything to resolve this error but
now need help.

What I did was (SPANNING SEVERAL WEEKS):

1) Remove public domain lookup zone from the dns.
2) Ran DCDIAG & NETDIAG to see if any problems:

Conclusion:

After reboot the netdiag report is clean but when AD enters error
condition I get the following (only part of report with errors is
included):

-----------netdiag

DC list test . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
[WARNING] Cannot call DsBind to myserv1.MYDOM.local (192.168.1.3).
[ERROR_OUTOFMEMORY]

Trust relationship test. . . . . . : Skipped

Kerberos test. . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

LDAP test. . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
[FATAL] Cannot open an LDAP session to 'myserv1.MYDOM.local' at
'192.168.1.3'.
[WARNING] Failed to query SPN registration on DC
myserv1.MYDOM.local'.

I have noted that many other people have had similar problems google
this:

Cannot call DsBind [ERROR_OUTOFMEMORY]

---------------------------------------

Other information:

When the system enters the error state there are no errors in the
System or Active Directory logs.

But after fails because AD is down the allocation logs starts to kick
off with USERENV errors messages.

Can anybody help resolve this issue?

From: Harj on
Hi,

> After a few hours, sometimes days the AD stops running

Active Directory does not stop "running"

> 3) Create a public lookup zone so that the server could become a
> primary dns for a domain.
> (This was need for just a few days until the new ISP could handle the
> DNS.)

Well where was this Domain controller pointed to for primary DNS
before? and where is it pointing now? Please do not tell me you have
it pointed to your ISP :(

You have one domain controller, one DNS server. Make sure this DC is
pointed to itself for primary DNS and ONLY itself.
>From the command prompt run the following
ipconfig /flushdns & ipconfig /registerdns & net stop netlogon & net
start netlogon.

Make sure your clients are pointed to this DC for primary DNS.
Run DCdiag /v, Netdiag /v to check for errors.

Good luck

Harj Singh
Power Your Active Directory Investment
www.specopssoft.com

From: Erik Cheizoo on
I do agree with Harj that it looks like you have set the DNS server(s) in
your server's TCP/IP configuration to your ISP DNS servers.
As these servers do not host your domain zones (and most importantly, the
_msdcs zones), you have broken Active Directory.

The good news is that this is easilly fixed, as Harj pointed out.
1) Make sure your DC is running DNS
2) Make sure your AD DNS zone (eg. mycompany.local) is stored in Active
Directory and only secure updates are allowed (for security reasons)
(Secure only will allow DNS registration for Windows 2000 and above clients.
Win9X/NT/etc is not supported)
3) Make sure your DNS server isn't a root DNS server. Translated: Make sure
your DNS server is not hosting the . (dot) zone.
This will break DNS lookups for Internet addresses, as the DNS server thinks
he's on top of the DNS hierarchy.
If the . zone is hosted, delete it.
4) Do not configure your DNS server to forward to your ISP DNS servers, as
ISP DNS polution occurs more frequently nowadays
Instead, rely on the root hints, which are configured correctly within
Windows 2003 DNS. If a record outside your own AD zone is requested, your
DNS server will perform a lookup using the Internet root servers and caches
the results for future requests.
5) After the above configuration steps, run the following commands;
- net stop dns
- net start dns
- ipconfig /registerdns
- net stop netlogon
- net start netlogon
6) Check DNS for a host (A) record in your AD DNS zone. Also, check the
records under _msdcs.

Good luck!

Erik Cheizoo
eXcellence & Difference
We keep your business running

From: inthedark on
You saird: Active Directory does not stop "running"

If only that were true :~( It does stop running. Or at least it
becomes inaccessable.

I think that the LDAP goes down in some way.

From: Herb Martin on

"inthedark" <nyoung(a)vipintersoft.com> wrote in message
> You saird: Active Directory does not stop "running"
>
> If only that were true :~( It does stop running. Or at least it
> becomes inaccessable.
>
> I think that the LDAP goes down in some way.

Now you are STARTING to perform good troubleshooting by
isolating the actual symptoms.

Do you know that LDAP in some way stops working? How
specifically do you know that?

Once you identify the symptoms precisely, most problems are
easy, if not trivial to resolve.

Have you run DCDiag on each DC? When it works, and when
it fails?