From: jackster the jackle on
I haven't done much with polling AD in the past but I am now trying to
write a basic script using active_ldap that pulls a list of users from
AD. The following code I have here doesn't work but the thing that
bothers me the most is that when I use a sniffer on the AD server, I
don't see any attempt by the script to communicate with the server.

require 'rubygems'
require 'active_ldap'

ActiveLdap::Base.setup_connection(
:host => "10.1.1.1",
:user => "admin",
:password => "password",
:base => "dc=voice,dc=company,dc=com"
)
all_users = Group.find(:all, '*')
puts all_users

The actual error I get is:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:443:in
`load_missing_constant': uninitialized constant Group (NameError)

Any ideas as to why this basic config isn't working?

Thanks

jack

From: Sven Schott on

Haven't used that particular gem (I use ActiveDirectory myself) but it looks
like just a namespace issue. You haven't included the namespace therefore
you would require the full object path e.g. ActiveLdap::Group.find(:all,
"*")

From: jackster the jackle on
Putting in the full object path renders the same error message, I'm
afraid.

To be honest, I don't have a preference toward Active_Ldap, I just
thought that it was the most common way to do AD lookups but if
ActiveDirectory works for you, can you please give me a link to the
binary (unleass it's a gem?) and perhaps a sample of a base config?

thanks

jack

From: Sven Schott on

Ah, my bad. For every complex problem there is a solution that is clear,
simple and wrong :)

The ActiveDirectory lib works for me but hasn't been updated in a while. It
can be found at:

http://code.google.com/p/ruby-activedirectory/

Setup is fairly much the same:

ActiveDirectory::Base.server_settings = {
:host => "hostname or ip address",
:port => 3268,
:username => "username",
:password => "password",
:domain => "your.ad.domain.here",
:base_dn => "DC=your,DC=base,DC=dn"
}

But I get the feeling that you might have the same issue. I seem to remember
that this was a rails+gem version problem since I had this this same issue
with the activedirectory gem once upon a time. What version of rails are you
using? Did you upgrade it recently?

From: Sven Schott on

Sorry I just assumed: are you running rails? That's what I was using it with
so I just made the assumption. Better question: What version of ruby and gem
are you running?