From: T.w.oliver on
Hi all,
Got a bit of a problem I dont know how to go about.
Basically my script takes 2 different directories, puts each file/sub
directory into an array for each, sorts the array, compares them, and
then spits out what is missing from each directory. Im really happy with
this as it is my first real ruby script and it works a charm.

Now I was wanting to add to it. Basically I want to take the size of
each file and see if they are greater than 0, and if it is 0 then output
the file.

My problem is that a directory is returned as being of size 0. Obviously
I dont care about the directory size in this case, only the file size.
How can i write my script to that it ignores the directory and only
checks if it is a file.

So at the moment my code goes
Dir.chdir(old)
old_array = Array.new
for i in Dir['**/**']
#puts i
puts i
puts File.size(i)
old_array << i
end

The puts File.size(i) is there for a semi test, and it shows me that
directories are returned with size 0.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much :D

From: Sven Schott on

Maybe something like:

puts File.size(i) unless File.directory?(i)

From: Tom Tom on
Sven Schott wrote:
> Maybe something like:
>
> puts File.size(i) unless File.directory?(i)
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 4:47 PM, T.w.oliver(a)gmail.com Tom <

I completely missed the directory method haha. Thank you sir.

From: Robert Klemme on
2009/11/10 Tom Tom <t.w.oliver(a)gmail.com>:
> Sven Schott wrote:
>> Maybe something like:
>>
>> puts File.size(i) unless File.directory?(i)
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 4:47 PM, T.w.oliver(a)gmail.com Tom <
>
> I completely missed the directory method haha. Thank you sir.

There is also the not so well known method "test" which can be used for this:

old_array = Dir["#{old}/**/*"]
old_array.each do |f|
puts File.size(f) unless test ?d, f
end

Btw, the original code copied the result of Dir[] into another Array.
That seems unnecessary additional work. You can directly use the
result of Dir[].

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/