From: BeeJ on
I have written a main VB6 app and an VB6 ActiveX EXE.
The ActiveX EXE compiles with no errors.
The Main app instantiates the ActiveX EXE as referenced as either a
..vbp or the .EXE. I am using early binding and intellisense works
properly.
The ActiveX EXE calls an external .dll supplied my the manufacturer of
hardware I am interfacing. The .dll uses a USB port. The hardware
responds properly when plugged in. I uses a HID USB interface.
The Main App run in the IDE and the ActiveX EXE .vbp run in its own IDE
step through correctly and performs as expected. No problems at all.
However, the Main App in the IDE referenced to the ActiveX EXE runs
without error but does not perform correctly. The call to the external
..dll returns a "hardware does not exist" response.
I have had this working before in both scenarios discussed but now it
does not.
I have rebooted the PC many times.
I have a small VB6 app that talks directly to the .dll and that works
so I know the chain out to the hardware (VB6 app, .dll, USB port) is
functional.
Any constructive suggestions or discussion is most appreciated.

From: Dee Earley on
On 15/07/2010 01:51, BeeJ wrote:
> I have written a main VB6 app and an VB6 ActiveX EXE.
> The ActiveX EXE compiles with no errors.
> The Main app instantiates the ActiveX EXE as referenced as either a .vbp
> or the .EXE. I am using early binding and intellisense works properly.
> The ActiveX EXE calls an external .dll supplied my the manufacturer of
> hardware I am interfacing. The .dll uses a USB port. The hardware
> responds properly when plugged in. I uses a HID USB interface.
> The Main App run in the IDE and the ActiveX EXE .vbp run in its own IDE
> step through correctly and performs as expected. No problems at all.
> However, the Main App in the IDE referenced to the ActiveX EXE runs
> without error but does not perform correctly. The call to the external
> .dll returns a "hardware does not exist" response.

Take a look at:
http://hashvb.earlsoft.co.uk/Debugging#In_the_compiled_program

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
From: BeeJ on
Dee Earley presented the following explanation :
> On 15/07/2010 01:51, BeeJ wrote:
>> I have written a main VB6 app and an VB6 ActiveX EXE.
>> The ActiveX EXE compiles with no errors.
>> The Main app instantiates the ActiveX EXE as referenced as either a .vbp
>> or the .EXE. I am using early binding and intellisense works properly.
>> The ActiveX EXE calls an external .dll supplied my the manufacturer of
>> hardware I am interfacing. The .dll uses a USB port. The hardware
>> responds properly when plugged in. I uses a HID USB interface.
>> The Main App run in the IDE and the ActiveX EXE .vbp run in its own IDE
>> step through correctly and performs as expected. No problems at all.
>> However, the Main App in the IDE referenced to the ActiveX EXE runs
>> without error but does not perform correctly. The call to the external
>> .dll returns a "hardware does not exist" response.
>
> Take a look at:
> http://hashvb.earlsoft.co.uk/Debugging#In_the_compiled_program

Yes I do use that method all the time. I could not see any problems
this way though.

From: Dee Earley on
On 16/07/2010 00:08, BeeJ wrote:
> Dee Earley presented the following explanation :
>> On 15/07/2010 01:51, BeeJ wrote:
>>> I have written a main VB6 app and an VB6 ActiveX EXE.
>>> The ActiveX EXE compiles with no errors.
>>> The Main app instantiates the ActiveX EXE as referenced as either a .vbp
>>> or the .EXE. I am using early binding and intellisense works properly.
>>> The ActiveX EXE calls an external .dll supplied my the manufacturer of
>>> hardware I am interfacing. The .dll uses a USB port. The hardware
>>> responds properly when plugged in. I uses a HID USB interface.
>>> The Main App run in the IDE and the ActiveX EXE .vbp run in its own IDE
>>> step through correctly and performs as expected. No problems at all.
>>> However, the Main App in the IDE referenced to the ActiveX EXE runs
>>> without error but does not perform correctly. The call to the external
>>> .dll returns a "hardware does not exist" response.
>>
>> Take a look at:
>> http://hashvb.earlsoft.co.uk/Debugging#In_the_compiled_program
>
> Yes I do use that method all the time. I could not see any problems this
> way though.

But with careful debug logging, you should be able to see what is being
returned differently from the HID APIs to make your code think there is
no device.