From: Gio on
On May 26, 3:24 pm, Mattc <mpcso...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 25, 9:50 am, Gio <giovanni_dim...(a)virgilio.it> wrote:

> > > Giovanni:  WHich version of Acu is giving you the error?
>
> > I'm using ACUCOBOL 4.3
> > Thanks

> Giovanni:
>
> First, that is a really old version of Acu, but the Vision file system
> is pretty solid so I guess that doesn't matter.  I am sure you have
> tried rebuilding the file using Vutil32 -rebuild, which should correct
> any normal error 98 condition; and if that does not correct the file
> then either you have a hard disk error in a sector occupied by the
> file or, you can try using Vutil32 -unload to create a sequential file
> and then rebuild it with a program of your own in another area of your
> drive.

Thanks Matt and Jimmy,
of course I recovered the problem using Vutil32, but my concern is
about what caused it.
The ACUCOBOL documentation says the extended error 98.13 is
"A record in the deleted record list was not marked as a deleted
record.".
What does this really mean?
Is there something hardware or software related that can cause it ?
Unfortunately this error is occurring in a Server2003 environment with
WindowsXP workstations and only in one location
and I cannot relate it to any particular procedure.
I understand that my first request was too simple, I hope now I made
it more clear.

Thanks to whoever would be able to give me some answer.

From: Mattc on
Giovanni:

Those installations I have that run ACU on Server 2003 and XP are as
problem free as anything as I have ever used, and I've been developing
COBOL software since 1974. Question 1 is are you using the thin
client (Acuconnect as it is currently called) to access the server, or
are you just directly networking? If you are directly networking (not
using thin client) you could have a kludgy network card on one of the
client machines. If you have a corrupt packet that hits the server at
the time it is performing a file i-o you can corrupt the index
structure. Also check into whether this particular server has any
funny settings regarding how it does record locking.

If you have other such installations which are not having this
problem, then my guess is that something is set up differently on the
server, or you have some intermittently malfunctioning hardware. 98s
of any kind are, in my experience, very rare with ACU.