From: rick on
I'm using Windows XP. I use both the latest IE and Firefox 2.0.
Awhile back, I needed to speed up my computer, but I'm not sure now
what I deleted. Problem I have now, is that for both browsers, if I
want to go on a website like ifilm.com or youtube.com,although I can
get to their main page, if I try to go any further I get a message at
the bottom in FF that says "Looking up ad.doubleclick.net" And then
it hangs. Same thing happens with a different message in IE.

What can I do? I could use System Restore if that would help undo
what I did - whatever it was I did.

Thanks,

Rick
From: Lisa Simpson on
You may have it blocked via the hosts file . . .

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
Lisa Simpson wrote:

> <rick(a)spamgmail.com> wrote:
>> ..the bottom in FF that says "Looking up ad.doubleclick.net" And then
>> it hangs. Same thing happens with a different message in IE.
>>
>> What can I do? I could use System Restore if that would help undo
>> what I did - whatever it was I did.
>
> You may have it blocked via the hosts file . . .

I have ad.doubleclick.net (and lots of others) in my HOSTS file, and
there is no hang. Something else is amiss.

--
-bts
From: slate_leeper on
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 03:24:23 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote:

>I have ad.doubleclick.net (and lots of others) in my HOSTS file, and
>there is no hang. Something else is amiss.

This happens on my system when the browser tries to access an IP
number that is blocked by my firewall. The browser keeps trying for
quite a while. Putting the URL or IP address in the hosts file works
much faster. Blocking a full range of IP numbers is easier with a
firewall rule, but does occasionally cause this delay. For example,
66.150.0.0 - 66.151.255.255 will block a large portion of 2o7.net.
Putting all those addresses in the hosts file individually would take
a lot of typing.

-dan z-

__
Those who live by the sword