From: Stephen Leake on
"Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)" <yannick_duchene(a)yahoo.fr> writes:

> Le Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:10:16 +0100, Georg Bauhaus
> <rm.dash-bauhaus(a)futureapps.de> a écrit:
>> Not being a designer, I still think there already
>> is something serving as an even better solution
>> (in terms of real-world usability).
>>
>> Using facilities of AI05-0183,
>>

>> procedure Pop (Cap : Bottle_of_Beer)
>> with Brief => "produces the sound of opening a bottle",
>> Pre'Class => not Is_Open (Bottle);
> We all wait for that, but it is not there, and anyway, it's source and
> source will never have the expected properties of a document (like
> publication, browsing).

Browsing is better for Ada in GPS or Emacs Ada mode; you can get to
_all_ of the source, not just what the Doxygen viewer has access to.

what do you mean by "publication"?

> I was also seeking for something like this for other purpose I will
> not talk about for the moment (let say it has to deal with verbosity
> and contexts which are foreign to sources).

"contexts foreign to sources" requires something much better than
Doxygen can provide. It has to abstract and summarize the whole
program; Doxygen comments are all local.

--
-- Stephe
From: Marco on
On Feb 25, 5:18 am, Stephen Leake <stephen_le...(a)stephe-leake.org>
wrote:
> "Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)" <yannick_duch...(a)yahoo.fr> writes:

> "contexts foreign to sources" requires something much better than
> Doxygen can provide. It has to abstract and summarize the whole
> program; Doxygen comments are all local.

Yes for all but the most trivial applications (the term program is
too simplistic) some sort of external documentation is needed. Can
this some-how be tied to the code so a simple refactor of a package
name or public parameter would just be updated automatically?
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) on
Le Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:18:10 +0100, Stephen Leake
<stephen_leake(a)stephe-leake.org> a écrit:
> "contexts foreign to sources" requires something much better than
> Doxygen can provide. It has to abstract and summarize the whole
> program; Doxygen comments are all local.

Seems you are reading in my mind : that's what LP (Literate Programming)
is for ;) (TBH, I'm thinking about something different, while still after
that, let say that LP is a convenient picture for me).

Note : I was not to advertise for Doxygen, I was just prospecting about
possible requests for it, because I first though about it as a possible
solution for something else, and on the way, found peoples who were
complaining there is no support for Ada in Doxygen. I understand this also
vary from people to people (and also note Doxygen was not created with Ada
in mind anyway and it's probably far to be its first target).

> Browsing is better for Ada in GPS or Emacs Ada mode; you can get to
> _all_ of the source, not just what the Doxygen viewer has access to.

If I may have a comment about a "detail" : while GPS provides some way to
travel across sources, this does not compare to a browsable set of
document which are browsable by nature (is it the good word for the french
"par essence" ?) and where links are managed and edited as part of the
content, just like words and sentences are. If the content of a document
and its interpretation depends on the application you use to view it, then
this is no more a document (I mean, links are not really part of this
"document" and don't takes part of it). And indeed, it depends (after your
example) on GPS or Emacs mode (this is inferred from the document, just
like would be a list of words or an automatic index, which may not be
meaningful.... because automatic)

Further more, this kind of browsing does not allow pre-designed navigation
paths (this is mainly random browsing -- random here, has the same meaning
as with random file access), still because browsing in not a first
property of sources, and this will never be, because this does not have to
be, just because documents and sources are different things with different
purposes.

--
No-no, this isn't an oops ...or I hope (TM) - Don't blame me... I'm just
not lucky
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) on
Le Thu, 25 Feb 2010 14:31:47 +0100, Marco <prenom_nomus(a)yahoo.com> a écrit:
> Yes for all but the most trivial applications (the term program is
> too simplistic) some sort of external documentation is needed.
While you may also guess/feel it's needed, even facing a trivial
application. You can infer the efficiency of a method from a trivial case,
as long as you mind is not tied to this trivial case (that comment is
anecdotal, but it was in my mind, and it is for long)

> Can
> this some-how be tied to the code so a simple refactor of a package
> name or public parameter would just be updated automatically?
Please, I need to understand more about what you were to say : do you mean
update of the documentation or automatic refactoring operations while
editing source ? What kind of synch were you thinking about exactly ?

From: Tero Koskinen on
Hi,

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 09:39:35 +0100 Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) wrote:

> Hello Ada designers,
>
> Do someones or some teams miss Doxygen support for Ada ?
> Is there a market or potential fundings for this functionalities ?

Adabrowse has been working for me. Although it is tied to
ASIS (and therefore GNAT).

--
Tero Koskinen - http://iki.fi/tero.koskinen/