From: Warren on
Robert A Duff expounded in news:wccmxwcu6kc.fsf(a)shell01.TheWorld.com:

>> True, but in my case I just needed the leading zeros, sans
>> any sign:
>>
>> 900 to be displayed as "00900" (vs " 900").
>
> So create a function called Image that does that.
> I think Image is a better name than To_String, by the way
> -- it's a common convention to use Image.

I see.

> The leading blank produced by T'Image is indeed annoying!
> What were they thinking?! Never mind, that's been discussed
> to death. It's not a huge problem, but it's one of the
> first things new Ada programmers notice, and it's a real
> turn-off.
>
> - Bob

I've since just created a Trim function to strip that off.
That saves me from having to create Image() functions for
those types that don't have special formatting requirements
(except for trimming the leading blank of course).

GDB:

One thing that I really miss in gdb, is the ability to
set breakpoints. Often what I need to step through is
buried deep inside the interpreter at a particular method,
or "procedure". While gdb seems to know about Ada (mostly),
I cannot seem to set qualified breakpoints where I need them.

Is there some secret gdb voodoo for that? It's "help"
doesn't seem to hint at this. It works for simple names,
but if I need to qualify the "name" in any way, it rejects
the request. I'm using cygwin's gdb:

$ gdb --version
GNU gdb 6.8.0.20080328-cvs (cygwin-special)

Warren
From: John B. Matthews on
In article <Xns9D74746DECC90WarrensBlatherings(a)188.40.43.245>,
Warren <ve3wwg(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> GDB:
>
> One thing that I really miss in gdb, is the ability to
> set breakpoints. Often what I need to step through is
> buried deep inside the interpreter at a particular method,
> or "procedure". While gdb seems to know about Ada (mostly),
> I cannot seem to set qualified breakpoints where I need them.
>
> Is there some secret gdb voodoo for that? It's "help"
> doesn't seem to hint at this. It works for simple names,
> but if I need to qualify the "name" in any way, it rejects
> the request. I'm using cygwin's gdb:
>
> $ gdb --version
> GNU gdb 6.8.0.20080328-cvs (cygwin-special)

(gdb) help break
Set breakpoint at specified line or function.

Here's a lengthier transcript:

http://sites.google.com/site/trashgod/adagdb

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com
From: Warren on
John B. Matthews expounded in news:nospam-813426.14024410052010
@news.aioe.org:

> In article <Xns9D74746DECC90WarrensBlatherings(a)188.40.43.245>,
> Warren <ve3wwg(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> GDB:
>>
>> One thing that I really miss in gdb, is the ability to
>> set breakpoints. Often what I need to step through is
>> buried deep inside the interpreter at a particular method,
>> or "procedure". While gdb seems to know about Ada (mostly),
>> I cannot seem to set qualified breakpoints where I need them.
>>
>> Is there some secret gdb voodoo for that? It's "help"
>> doesn't seem to hint at this. It works for simple names,
>> but if I need to qualify the "name" in any way, it rejects
>> the request. I'm using cygwin's gdb:
>>
>> $ gdb --version
>> GNU gdb 6.8.0.20080328-cvs (cygwin-special)
>
> (gdb) help break
> Set breakpoint at specified line or function.

Heh heh, I know about that one.

But I think I've located the problem-- libtool
seems to be doing a link as -O2 and no debug
symbols. Harumph...

That explains why I was able to debug up to a
point in this project. After I switched over to
the "autocrap", this gdb hasn't been working
right.

Don't bother saying it... (about autocrap) ;-)

Warren