From: Vinoth on
Adding MOre than one WFE in a NON AD environment. I uses STSADMn command on PSconfig connect command both not working provided errors.

weil wrote:

RE: Adding a second WFE to a WSS 3.0 Server Farm in a non-AD envir
06-Jul-07

------=_NextPart_0001_5E1E85A1

Hi ,

How is everything going? Please feel free to let me know if you need any
assistance.

Sincerely,

Wei Lu
Microsoft Online Community Support

------=_NextPart_0001_5E1E85A1

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg936\deff0\deflang1033\deflangfe2052{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fprq2\fcharset0 MS Sans Serif;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\lang2052\f0\fs20 Hi ,
\par
\par How is everything going? Please feel free to let me know if you need any
\par assistance.
\par
\par Sincerely,
\par
\par Wei Lu
\par Microsoft Online Community Support
\par
\par ==================================================
\par
\par When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
\par that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
\par
\par ==================================================
\par
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_5E1E85A1--

On Wednesday, June 20, 2007 11:55 AM
bjpoh wrote:

Adding a second WFE to a WSS 3.0 Server Farm in a non-AD environme
Hello,

We are deploying WSS 3.0 in a non-Active Directory (i.e. Workgroup)
environment. To this end, we have successfully established a single
web-front-end (WFE) server in a farm configuration using SQL authentication.
(Guidelines for doing this were found here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/fooshen/archive/2007/02/01/installing-moss-without-ad.aspx)

Now we are trying to add a second WFE to the farm. We have installed WSS
3.0 and are trying to configure the Configuration DB. We first tried using
the following PSConfig command:

PSConfig -cmd -configdb -connect -server <dbserver> -database <database>
-dbpassword <dbuser password>

We received the following message:

???The user parameter specified with the configdb command is invalid.
The username entered must be the same as the database access account for the
server farm you wish to join. Either choose
<frontend1machine>\<frontend1user> as the username or choose a different
database name.???

I have tried to enter the WFE1 user account user name and password, but then
we receive:

???The user parameter specified with the configdb command is invalid. The
username is invalid. The account must be a local account or a global domain
account.???

Which makes sense to me, actually.

We???ve tried what I used to call the ???Workgroup trick??? in that the local user
on both WFE servers have the same username and password. Doesn???t help.

I???ve also tried connecting the second WFE to the configDb using stsadm:

stsadm -o setconfigdb -connect -databaseserver <dbserver> -dn <database>
<local user password>

And receive:

???Some or all identity references could not be translated.???

When I change the local user to the first WFE box name, I simply get the
domain\username as an output (nice error message there!)

Ok, so I can kind of see what is going on, but fail to understand why the
farm user is even necessary when using SQL authentication.

The basic question is: Is it possible, and how to add a second WFE to a WSS
3.0 server farm in a workgroup environment and SQL authentication?

Thanks in advance,

--
B.J. Pohl

On Thursday, June 21, 2007 1:57 AM
weil wrote:

RE: Adding a second WFE to a WSS 3.0 Server Farm in a non-AD environme
------=_NextPart_0001_216ED99C

Hello Pohl,

Have you tried to only specify the du and dp in the stsadm?

stsadm -o setconfigdb -connect -databaseserver <dbserver> -dn <database>
-du <dbuser> -dp <dbuser password>

What's the result?

Sincerely,

Wei Lu
Microsoft Online Community Support

------=_NextPart_0001_216ED99C

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg936\deff0\deflang1033\deflangfe2052{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fprq2\fcharset0 MS Sans Serif;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\lang2052\f0\fs20 Hello Pohl,
\par
\par Have you tried to only specify the du and dp in the stsadm?
\par
\par
\par What's the result?
\par
\par Sincerely,
\par
\par Wei Lu
\par Microsoft Online Community Support
\par
\par ==================================================
\par
\par When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
\par that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
\par
\par ==================================================
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_216ED99C--

On Thursday, June 21, 2007 10:50 AM
bjpoh wrote:

RE: Adding a second WFE to a WSS 3.0 Server Farm in a non-AD envir
Missing required argument: farmuser.
Missing required argument: farmpassword.

--
B.J. Pohl

"Wei Lu [MSFT]" wrote:

On Friday, June 22, 2007 2:43 AM
weil wrote:

RE: Adding a second WFE to a WSS 3.0 Server Farm in a non-AD envir
------=_NextPart_0001_15A96DA3

Hello Pohl,

I am performing some research on this. I appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,

Wei Lu
Microsoft Online Community Support

------=_NextPart_0001_15A96DA3

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg936\deff0\deflang1033\deflangfe2052{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fprq2\fcharset0 MS Sans Serif;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\lang2052\f0\fs20 Hello Pohl,
\par
\par I am performing some research on this. I appreciate your patience.
\par
\par Sincerely,
\par
\par Wei Lu
\par Microsoft Online Community Support
\par
\par ==================================================
\par
\par When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
\par that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
\par
\par ==================================================
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_15A96DA3--

On Wednesday, July 04, 2007 5:05 AM
weil wrote:

RE: Adding a second WFE to a WSS 3.0 Server Farm in a non-AD envir
------=_NextPart_0001_53F75116

Hello Pohl,

The farm user account is the Windows account that the Central Admin
application pool and the SharePoint Timer Service will run as on the WFE.

So you must specify it.

Since you are using a NON-domain environment, you need to specify a local
Authority account like Network Services.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Wei Lu
Microsoft Online Community Support

------=_NextPart_0001_53F75116

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg936\deff0\deflang1033\deflangfe2052{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fprq2\fcharset0 MS Sans Serif;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\lang2052\f0\fs20 Hello Pohl,
\par
\par The farm user account is the Windows account that the Central Admin application pool and the SharePoint Timer Service will run as on the WFE.
\par
\par So you must specify it.
\par
\par Since you are using a NON-domain environment, you need to specify a local Authority account like Network Services.
\par
\par Hope this helps.
\par
\par Sincerely,
\par
\par Wei Lu
\par Microsoft Online Community Support
\par
\par ==================================================
\par
\par When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
\par that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
\par
\par ==================================================
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_53F75116--

On Friday, July 06, 2007 4:24 AM
weil wrote:

[...]

On Tuesday, August 14, 2007 4:38 PM
bjpoh wrote:

RE: Adding a second WFE to a WSS 3.0 Server Farm in a non-AD envir
Just to follow up for anyone who finds this post:

I ended up burning a Microsoft support incident to have them tell me that
what I wanted to do was not supported. If you want more than one WFE, you
must have an AD environment (the SQL db can off the domain and reached via
SQL authentication however.) I have the links around here that point to AD
being a requirement for a "farm environment".
--
B.J. Pohl

"Wei Lu [MSFT]" wrote:

Load Testing ASP.NET Applications with Visual Studio 2010
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/13e16f83-4cf2-4c9d-b75b-aa67fc309108/load-testing-aspnet-applications-with-visual-studio-2010.aspx